DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 29th, 2004, 06:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Importing PSD file Into FCP HD

Recently, I reinstalled Panther and all of our software including FCP HD and I noticed an odd behavior in FCP HD.

When I import a PSD file, it shows up in the browser as a sequence but when I try to open it, I get a message saying something to the extent that the proper codec is not installed. When I click the message off, another comes up saying I'm out of memory.

We use a dual 2ghz G5 with 2 gigs of RAM. Our format is uncompressed 10 bit captured from BETA SP with an AJA IO.

Anyone know what could be going on? I have not installed the Pro Support updater yet and is there a recent FCP HD update?
Old September 29th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello Dave. I have seen this same error on a system running Jaguar, and FCP 4.0. The common denominator is the use of SD. The system I was working on was using a Cinewave card. I have never seen this error using any version of FCP in a DV codec. So I believe the error to be related to working with SD in FCP, but not any particular card (mine Cinewave, yours AJA).

The frustrating issue was I was taking on someone else's project and had not created the .psd files nor imported them the first time, so trouble shooting was a bear.

To be honest, I cannot remember what I did to resolve the issue, whether it was to Reconnect Media, change the .psd file dimensions, change file formats, or something else. I know I was eventually able to resolve the issue. Hopefully someone else here will have encountered the issue more recently and have a better memory. Good luck.
Duane Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Is this the big frustrating orange/red screen?
This was killing me.
I dont know photoshop, after a year i really dont know FPC4.

a smart kid had me resize the psd image in photoshop at 720 x 486, and changed the color to RGB.
it was a simple option from one of the headers.

I can give you an answer with the proper jargon when the still shhoter gets back, if you need it.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Gary. I know Photoshop very well and FCP pretty well. There is no problem with the image. As a matter of fact teh same image works fine on my home Mac running Final Cut Express.
Old September 30th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Right, Dave, and Final Cut Express is a DV editing platform, while you have stated you are working in SD at work. That is where you need to troubleshoot your image. The .psd codec is not supported for use in the codec of your Timeline. Try it out. Create a DV codec Timeline in the same project at work and try using the .psd file there.

Unfortunately I only do contract work at the Cinewave SD suite, so I cannot go back and recreate the issue to offer the solution I found right now. But the problem is with the .psd file and the codec you are working with, and there is a solution. I have travelled the path successfully.
Old September 30th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Duane,

I'll give it a whirl. It just seems that I was able to do it before I reformatted the machine. Maybe I never tried it before. I have only been working with uncompressed video for 4 months now (since I got this new job). Up to this point it has been all DV.
Old October 7th, 2004, 06:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah, Dave, it gets worse though. It is not "all" .psd files. Just some. The some with that particular difference that makes it not work in an SD timeline. You may well have never encountered it until recently. Is it a layered file, or not layered? What is the image size? What is the colour space? I will be back working on an SD system with FCP HD and AJA iO next week, and will see if I can recreate this issue and reacquaint myself with the solution. But again, I reiterate, I have encountered this in FCP 4.0 and with a Cinewave board. Hmmm...
Old October 7th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Duane,

The problem didn't start until I reformatted and reinstalled software. Before that time it worked.

Single layer PSDs work fine but still show as a graphic icon rather than a sequence.

Keep me posted as to what you find out.

TIA, Dave

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite