DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Snow Leopard Advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/332680-snow-leopard-advice.html)

Jason Boyette August 28th, 2009 11:48 AM

Snow Leopard Advice

How should I go about upgrading to Snow Leopard:
A clean install or upgrade?

Hank Coffin August 28th, 2009 01:02 PM

I'm a bit of a noob to Mac, only been using it a couple years. But in my experience, upgrades are no problem. (Unlike Windows, where I have never had an upgrade actually work). I just upgraded 10.5 to 10.6 on a partition I don't use very often. Took about an hour. Seem fine. 10.6 is a fairly minor upgrade UI-wise, but apparently they have improved a lot of the interenals.

You might want to make sure all the software you use still works with 10.6 before taking the plunge.

Don Miller August 28th, 2009 04:52 PM

If your system disk is several years old, it's a good time to get a faster disk and install SL on it.
The system can then be booted from either new or old OSX.

Mike Barber August 28th, 2009 06:40 PM

Clean install, hands down.

FYI, Philip Bloom posted the following on Twitter earlier today:

Quote:

sony have confirmed that XDCAM software is not compatible with Snow Leopard. Could be a long wait. DON"T UPGRADE!!
So if you do any work with Sony SxS cards, etc that require using Sony's XDCAM software, you've been warned!

Matt Davis August 29th, 2009 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Barber (Post 1282538)
FYI, Philip Bloom posted the following on Twitter earlier today:

Based on my blog post: Travelling Matt

BTW, I'll reiterate - MxR works fine, and I'll be keeping SL on the backup machine for now as FCS3 has felt less stable than FCS2 on Leopard.

Interestingly, I've had to recalibrate my MacBook Pro screen for Snow Leopard, probably because it fixes the Gamma bug in QuickTime. It's for reasons like this I'm steaming forward with an Early Adopter approach on this OS iteration.

Personally, I gotta have Bluray, movable markers, souped up Motion and any incremental teeny-weeny stability improvement I can get on SoundTrack Pro which may require hopping between Leopard and Snow Leopard for the time being, but YMMV.

Dana Rice August 29th, 2009 05:35 AM

You can still use Final Cut's Log & Transfer to import XDCAM footage off an SxS card that's in the EX1 and connected via USB.

Aaron Fowler August 29th, 2009 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Coffin (Post 1281609)
You might want to make sure all the software you use still works with 10.6 before taking the plunge.

Here's a list of applications and their compatibility with Snow Leopard...

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Compatibility List

Jason Boyette August 29th, 2009 11:42 AM

Thanks for all the info

Gonna finish my last project up and do a clean install next week
(now I have motivation to finish up!)