DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Editing with FCP on Linux? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/33992-editing-fcp-linux.html)

David Thulin October 25th, 2004 10:57 PM

Editing with FCP on Linux?

I was having a discussion with a friend today about why I wanted a mac, and of course my #1 reason was editing video. He mentioned you can run FCP on a certain flavor of Linux with a little tinkering and it runs just as well. Does anyone know if 1.) it will even work, and if so 2.) how well compared to a similarly equipped mac?

Steven Andrus October 26th, 2004 04:40 AM

your friend is mistaken, FCP 4 requires not only OSX 10.2 or above, which uses a BSD kernel (and contrary to popular belief is NOT linux), it also requires a G4 or G5 cpu.

Jeff Donald October 26th, 2004 05:45 AM

Steven is correct. I've never heard of FCP being able to run on any version of Linux.

Graeme Nattress October 26th, 2004 07:23 AM

Perhaps you could run FCP under Mac emulation on a LinuxPPC box.... But at that point, your linux box is infact a Mac with Linux installed on it, thus proving you need a mac to run FCP.... Just buy a mac and be done with it!

Graeme

David Thulin October 26th, 2004 10:44 AM

I just clarified what my friend was trying to tell me, and I guess he was really saying mac uses the same POSIX architecture as linux and that FCP can be run on PearlPC, a PowerPC emulator. Anyone tried this?

Graeme Nattress October 26th, 2004 12:00 PM

Theoretically, yes, you can run it on a mac OS emulator, but practically, no - video editing needs raw speed and an emulator is never going to give you that. Don't even think about it - just buy a mac and be done with it.

Graeme

Mark Sloan October 26th, 2004 03:51 PM

Reading the info from the site PearPC is pretty simple at this time and most likely would not support things like FireWire. Hell, just to get the screen to refresh at a fast enough rate will kill any kind of work you want to do. Someone claims to have gotten Motion to work but at glacially slow speeds. It is more of a neat thing you can do than a viable working environment. You need some skills just to get Mac OS X to install.

Donie Kelly October 26th, 2004 05:53 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by David Thulin : I just clarified what my friend was trying to tell me, and I guess he was really saying mac uses the same POSIX architecture as linux and that FCP can be run on PearlPC, a PowerPC emulator. Anyone tried this? -->>>

Hmmm, there is more to fcp than posix calls! First the user interface, custom built by apple, emulate that first... then the os, of which posix is a small part and by the way, how do you know that fcp is build usind posix calls. Ok, they are the portable calls but it may be using it's own breed of internal stuff.

then put all that on a power pc emulator, then you'll think windows is fast ;) Joking, but seriously, I reckon a cray would manage it just if you worked out all the software issues...

A good example of emulation gone wrong is Virtual PC running on the mac trying to behave like a crap pc, my God, it's slow!!!

Tell you friend to stop waffling (no offense intended) and if you want to run fcp, get a mac. It'll be cheaper in the long run... ;)

Donie

Duane Martin October 26th, 2004 06:20 PM

The OS 9 version of FCP 3 will not work in Classic mode in OS X because the hardware cannot be addressed properly. Sure, it is not the same thing exactly, but I suspect a fair indicator of the likelihood of success. The point being, speed is likely the least of David's concerns. FCP works because of the integration of software and hardware, something emulation, even Apple's own Classic mode, cannot handle.

But hey, pure speculation. I say David should try, despite all the nay sayers. If nothing else, his experience is likely to be interesting reading.

David Thulin October 26th, 2004 06:52 PM

Thanks for all of your speedy replies. I remained skeptical of my friend as well and I would assume if it would work, it'd be at half the speed of a real mac if you were lucky. Still, the idea intrigues me...using motion and Premiere Pro on the same hdd sounds very interesting indeed. If I get a chance to give it a shot I'll post my results.

Donie Kelly October 26th, 2004 07:01 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by David Thulin : If I get a chance to give it a shot I'll post my results. -->>>

David, do you mind if we don't hold our breaths ;) But, if you do manage to do it give us a shout, it's a nice dream ...