DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Is this the right workflow for a 'widescreen DVD' project? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/342425-right-workflow-widescreen-dvd-project.html)

James Wong August 30th, 2009 10:54 PM

Is this the right workflow for a 'widescreen DVD' project?

2 Attachment(s)
I am definitely trying to catch up with HD since SD projects and my head is going to explode.

I am currently working with a client to make a video using still photos primarily with basic motion graphics (larger-than-screen-size images that I will be moving within the frame, etc).

My tools for now are Motion 4 and Final Cut Pro 7, among the other FCS3 apps.

The client requested that the project be output in widescreen 16:9. This is fine, however it will be output onto a standard def DVD (not blu ray, web or otherwise).

Is this an acceptable workflow that will properly results in an anamorphic widescreen NTSC DVD?

1. When I use Motion, my current workflow is creating with the - "Broadcast 720p" as the project setting. (see attachment) I can then use FCP (and later DVDSP) to just scale/fit into the project.

2. When I edit with FCP then, should I set the Sequence Settings to an NTSC DV 3:2 project with 16:9 checked? (see second attachment)? Or am I doing this all wrong?

Sorry to trouble you guys with such basic questions, but I want to make sure I'm not more than midway into the project and all my settings void my project progress. Plus I like the community here (so far everyone is so helpful/responsive)

Thanks,
James

Mitchell Lewis August 30th, 2009 11:09 PM

I think that way would work. But I would recommend editing the whole project in 720p, then in the final step, export from HD 720p to SD DVD anamorphic using Compressor.

James Wong August 31st, 2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis (Post 1291874)
I think that way would work. But I would recommend editing the whole project in 720p, then in the final step, export from HD 720p to SD DVD anamorphic using Compressor.

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks so much. Makes perfect sense and good to know.

Best,
James

James Wong September 6th, 2009 12:31 AM

Acceptable workflow so far?

I've successfully edited test footage and such with the following workflow/process. Does this still seem acceptable for an SD DVD-output project?

I've decided to edit and finish at 1280x720 so that the client also will have sharp versions if displayed on something like a computer kiosk that can output at HD (unlike SD DVD).

Process/workflow for HD to NTSC SD DVD Project

1. Original Motion Graphics in Apple Motion:
1280x720 @ 29.97fps
Field Order: None
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square

2. Sent to FCP for editing and exported with the same settings:
1280x720 @ 29.97fps
Field Dominance: None
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square

Then to Compressor 3.5:
DVD "Best Quality 90 minutes" MPEG2 (.m2v, Anamorphic) Preset

Then... imported to DVD SP.. I've adjusted the "Tracks" to be 16:9 Letterbox. It appears to work fine (letterboxed on SD TV and full-frame widescreen on widescreen displays).

Also, I'm sure people have read this before, but for those who havent don't let DVD SP take in your *non-native* (read: non .m2v/MPEG) files. I tried importing a ProRes transcoded export into DVD Studio Pro and the 'converted' footage for DVD was pixellated and downright awful. After some online research, and my own testing, Compressor handled the clip wonderfully and was then brought over to DVDSP in an .m2v format that displayed nicely.