Does anybody know how to make my Titles look more film like? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 6th, 2004, 02:20 AM   #16

I used FCP native to animate at 23.98 and it looks choppy. Maybe I should try to do each letter separately in the name (these are big opening credits).
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #17
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Graeme Nattress]Make sure that your titles are frame based rather than field bases...

Could I ask a favour Graeme. I am interested in this discussion but am relatively new to this stuff. Could you explain what you mean by frame based vs. field based? Is field related to it being interlaced or progressive? If so aren't frames themselves field based?
Daniel Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 01:18 AM   #18
Major Player

[QUOTE=Daniel Stevenson]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress
Make sure that your titles are frame based rather than field bases...

Could I ask a favour Graeme. I am interested in this discussion but am relatively new to this stuff. Could you explain what you mean by frame based vs. field based? Is field related to it being interlaced or progressive? If so aren't frames themselves field based?
If I may...

Frames are like a frame of film. One full frame of film. A picture. A field is HALF a picture...only every even or odd scanline. Film is made of 24 full pictures or frames, while video is made of 60 fields of images, two fields per frame of video. Interlaces video frames are full pictures, they consist of one picture that makes up the even fields, and one picture that makes up the odd fields (with CRT technology it couldn't draw a full frame, but had to first scan the odd fields of an image, then redraw the even fields). Very often these fields are from a completely different different picture, so they look jagged. That is why video is so smooth, as it has basically 60 pictures that is strings together, not 24.

Maybe Graeme can get more technical. In fact, I know he can.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #19
RED Problem Solver

FCP's motion effects can render at the field rate or the frame rate, ie, 60 fields per second or 30 frames per second in an standard NTSC timeline. That's why you have to tell the timeline, wether it's upper, lower field, or none, to make sure they work right.

For more info on fields, just read my 24p article Ken Stone published.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 01:27 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I always put a 2 pt gaussian blur on all my titles.
Cal Thorpe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite