Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 15th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP video not playing on Monitor

Hey guys,

I have Final Cut Pro HD running on a dual G5 connected to a JVC miniDV deck via firewire. I have a small television connected to the deck via composite RCA cable. I can't seem to get my footage that I am editing to play in real-time on my television. Does anybody know what could be the problem? FCP's external video settings are set to all frames (I believe, but I have to check when i get back home). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Galvan
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #2
Warden

Try in FCP, View>Video Playbeck>Apple FireWire.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 03:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Check your System preferences --- make sure the "Mirror Playback on desktop" is checked.
Old November 15th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. I've set all those things and it still wont play back on my tv (there's just snow). It seems as if the TV isn't getting the signal. Is there any other settings I need to check in FCP?
Old November 15th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #5
Warden

Did you check the cameras manual to see if it passes the video signal through? Does it need to be in a record mode?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #6
Wrangler

Perhaps this is a long shot.... older version of FCP had a bug... er, I mean feature that could prevent external video from playing if the canvas was set to view at 100%. The simple fix was to use the drop down view scale menu and choose "Fit to Window."
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #7
Major Player

i've tried all your suggestions and still not working ... I'm stumped .... any other suggestions? I'm going to try another tv set too and see what happens ...
Old November 17th, 2004, 04:00 PM   #8
Major Player

How is it connected to your TV? If it is going in thru RCA cabling, you need to turn the TV to VIDEO IN...it can't just be on any channel.

In my experience when the TV is set to VIDEO 1 or VIDEO IN...you won't see snow..even if no device is connected. Only if it is on a channel that is receiving no signal...thus my hypothesis.

But I could be wrong.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #9
New Boot

I had this problem and eventually solved it by flipping channels on my monitor until I found the one that received the FW signal.
Dan Wiencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #10
Major Player

F12 is shortcut to toggle an external on/off. Maybe you should try that one?
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #11
Major Player

If he is seeing snow then he is trying the cable/ant input. He needs to change the input to a video input or some older TVs it is channel 91 or something like that. Try looking in your TV manual if you don't see a button on the TV/remote that says input or video.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 08:51 AM   #12
Major Player

Hey guys .... thanks for all the responses ... you were right Mark, I was trying to use the cable/int input. Regardless, no worries .... I just went to B&H and bought a Sony PVM production monitor (it really doesn't take much to convince me to spend mucho loads of cash on DV stuff). But thanks for all the help, I know I can always come to this forum for any needs ....
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite