master/slave basic question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 17th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

master/slave basic question

Recently got Dual Baydock FireWire 800 drives from Wiebetech. Only took about 32 days to get here, thanks Wiebetech! : |
Anyway, they are already set up to Master/Slave.
My simple question: does this mean the slave should automatically backup the master, i.e. anything I put on the Master will go to the slave too? We tested and this did not happen, but maybe I am doing something wrong.
Do I have to copy from the master to the slave myself? If so, I don't see the difference between this and daisy-chaining.
Thanks.
Jonathan Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Footage will only be duplicated on both drives if you have them striped in a RAID that allows for that (not sure which level RAID...3?)

If they are non-raided drives, no footage redundancy will occur.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #3
Major Player

From Wiebetechs website I couldn't determine what they meant by Master and Slave, but to set up the software RAID to get rendundancy or more speed you need to connect each drive via its own cable to your machine and use your Disk Utilitiy to get it going.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks.
We went to the RAID tab in Disk Utility and Mirrord the drives. All is well now.
Old November 19th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

something else to consider

OK. When I mirror the drives in Disk Utility > RAID, it wipes out whatever is on both drives and marries them together. So this means that my master drive will forever be married to its slave.

I work in the corporate world and we have multiple clients. Our theory was to buy a drive for each client and have one, large (250GB) drive that would be the universal slave. That is, for each client, we'd be happy to put in a new master and lose the old data on the slave, b/c it would be safe on the old client's master drive.

I suppose this would work if we were starting with fresh drives for each client. But, of course, we would be working on multiple client's projects and swapping in and out master drives with footage already on them.

Is there a way to set up this universal slave config I am imagining? I suppose it would have to happen outside of Disk Utility.

The alternative, of course, is to buy two drives for each client (master and slave).

Thanks.
Old November 19th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #6
Major Player

So is your goal to just have the slave drive get wiped out while swapping different master drives in and out? You want to simply have a back up copy of whatever you are working on, but once you swap something else in, you don't care about the old slave data?

You may need some addittonal software... maybe these guys: http://www.attotech.com/software.htm
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 03:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

That's right. That's what I want to do.

I'll check out the link. Thanks.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:02 PM   #8
Major Player

Just found this software too, which sounds like it does what you want:
http://www.softraid.com/vsapple.html
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite