DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Why is my computer sending viruses? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/35120-why-my-computer-sending-viruses.html)

Alfred Okocha November 17th, 2004 05:38 PM

Why is my computer sending viruses?

Totally OT, I know but at least here are several fellow mac users.. My computer seems to suffer of some kind of virus.. It keeps sending (without me seeing when) out viruses to people..
How can I get rid of this? I use 10.3.6 and entourage. I have a Norton virus thing but that hasn't detected anything..

My computer works fine otherwise..

Thanks.

Graeme Nattress November 17th, 2004 09:02 PM

Your computer is most probably not sending out viruses.

What is happening is this: you email someone, and they are using a PC. They get a virus and it looks through their emails. It sees your name and address and then sends out a virus pretending to come from you, to confuse people and to make them open the attached virus thinking it's from a trusted person -you!

Graeme

Vic Owen November 17th, 2004 11:29 PM

Alfred --

Second what Graeme said. To my knowledge, there are no known OS-X viruses floating around out there.

Alfred Okocha November 18th, 2004 04:15 AM

Ahh, thanks for that info. That was nice to hear! I get around 5-7 virus-emails (or what I think is, type, Hello.. pics.. or "the doc you asked for..) do you get the same amount?

Thanks.

Keith Loh November 18th, 2004 01:11 PM

Use a Spam filter and garbage all of those.

I use Mailwasher which allows me to quickly scan all of my incoming mail for false-positives (totally necessary for business environment), keep the ones I want (white-listing) and throw the rest into a whole. Mailwasher is a bit different than most because it shows you the messages before they come into your mail program inbox so you don't clutter your own program with the dross.

Imran Zaidi November 18th, 2004 01:20 PM

Email spoofing doesn't really have to do with either Macs or PCs or even viruses. All that happens is that unscrupulous spammers out there have your email address, and when they send out stuff, they attach random emails to them as the sender. You, along with most everyone these days, seem to be sending out things that you never actually did. And when the receiver replies, or if their virus software auto-replies, it of course comes to you.

If the receiver of such emails looks at the header info of each email, I'm sure they'll find that the sending IP address was definitely not you.

Alfred Okocha November 18th, 2004 03:18 PM

I do use a junk filter but you still have to check if something useful got sorted as "junk".. Maybe I check the "Mailwasher" out.

Thanks for clearing that up everybody!

Dan Uneken November 20th, 2004 07:44 AM

Is Mailwasher for Mac? The site says: "Windows 95, 98, NT 4, ME, 2000 or XP".