AVI into FCP 6? (HD to SD) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Trustee

AVI into FCP 6? (HD to SD)

I shoot with a Sony EX3 (SxS cards). I have a project that requires me to edit in Standard Definition (standard DV). This means I need to transcode my HD footage into SD. I have found a number of good solutions that offer good video quality. But I need the footage available for editing as quickly as possible.

Workflow #1) Use Sony's XDCAM Clip Browser and choose File>Export as Raw DV. This works well except for some reason the audio is transcoded into 32-bit floating point, instead of 16-bit like it should be. As a result, FCP won't play the audio without rendering. This makes it very hard to edit the footage based on audio. As a result this isn't a good option.

Workflow #2) Use Sony's XDCAM Clip Browser and choose File>Export as AVI DV. This also works well except for some reason FCP brings up a Media Performance Warning. The files still play fine, but I'm concerned there are other issues I've yet to realize that will become major problems when I'm trying to finish this project. (see attached file) Also, unlike Workflow #1, the audio plays fine without any rendering.

Workflow #3) Use Apple's Compressor to convert the XDCAM EX 720 60p files to DV. This yields the best quality, but it's about 25% slower than using XDCAM Clip Browser.

So here's my question.......

Does anyone have any experience with the Media Performance Warning? The files seem to play fine. Should I just ignore the error message? If I used Media Manager like the Warning message suggests, then I loose all the transcoding speed advantage.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
AVI into FCP 6? (HD to SD)-warning.png  
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Never mind. Found this in the FCP manual:

In rare cases, Final Cut Pro alerts you if imported media files cannot be optimized for
multiple-stream, real-time playback. These files are perfectly fine to use in your
Final Cut Pro project. Unless you are editing with multiple uncompressed video streams
that demand maximum media file performance, you can usually leave the files as they
are and continue editing normally. Since Final Cut Pro always optimizes files when
capturing, simply recapturing should maximize the file’s performance.

I'm going to just ignore the warning and hope for the best. Cross your fingers for me. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite