the silence is deafening... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:10 PM   #16
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Mann Z. : edius can edit native mpeg 2 with rt output to a monitor i might add -->>>

Yes, sorry, I forgot about Edius, though I have to say it's not a particularly widespread NLE compared to Vegas, Premiere FCP or the Avids.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:49 PM   #17
Trustee

Can Avid edit HDV on the Mac presently?
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:20 PM   #18
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Nunez : Can Avid edit HDV on the Mac presently? -->>>

No, Avid recently announced they will not be releasing their HDV solution (for either platform) until at least next summer.

By the way, I believe all of the following programs can edit a native HDV file:

Pinnacle Liquid Edition 6
Ulead Media Studio Pro with HD plugin
Sony Vegas
Edius Pro 3
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:32 AM   #19
Trustee

...and not a single one, a Mac native program.......urghhh!
Old December 24th, 2004, 04:15 PM   #20
New Boot

Just like old times...

Back when Sony launched the VX-1000, there wasn't any real native support for mini-DV in the beginning.

I see the FX-1 as the first serious HDV camera, and it's only been out for a few months, with just a handful of NLEs to support it.

No surpise that Vegas is one of them, since it is owned by Sony.

I feel this early in the game lack of HDV support is JUST a minor nuisance for real world video work. Early adopters had bought the JVC camera and more people will buy the FX-1. But it hasn't killed of DV yet.

If by mid to late 2005, HDV support isn't there in FCP and the other NLEs then it will be an issue.

I don't see Apple being a late comer to HDV when even Avid and Adobe isn't providing suppport yet.

I also can't see how anyone at Apple Canada has a lot of inside information about what the Final Cut Pro development team is doing in Cupertino.

Apple is in the mist of working on Tiger, especially Core Image and Core Video.

I assume Apple wants to make sure any HDV support they put into Final Cut will work well with Core Video and Core Image.

Canopus and Vegas don't have to deal with any of that.
Thomas Mathai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Final Cut Pro Hd

Folks,

I thought of buying a full turnkey system from Apple with finalcutpro HD. When i found it doesn't support HDV formats i backed off and now i'm going to Windows with Sony vegas because i have a FX1. Potential loss of $10k for Apple mac. They have to get their act together and come up with a solution. On hearing my decision the Sales guy was depressed little bit.

Second thought, i saw the demo of FCP and Shake awesome....awesome ..awesome.

Does anybody know FCP...Lumiere HD...Natress Works without any problem?

Please let me know.

Hari
Harikrishnan Ponnurangam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #22
Wrangler

Re: Final Cut Pro Hd

<<<-- Originally posted by Harikrishnan Ponnurangam : Potential loss of $10k for Apple mac. They have to get their act together -->>>

I'm sure Steve Jobs is very upset to read this ;-) Seriously... relax and wait a couple weeks to see what comes out of NAB. Apple has been making some very wise marketing decisions and as a sharholder I'm delighted. If they aren't ready to support HDV in FCP HD then I'm sure there's a reason. OTOH, Sony (as a company) is sort of a mess, although they are finally trying to get their act together.

I know we all think HDV and cameras like the FX1 are the most important things in the world, but to a big company like Apple or Sony this is just a tiny piece of the pie.

In January Steve Jobs declared 2005 "The year of high definition video." There's an article in the May MacWorld (p16) about this, and although it doesn't really shed a lot of light on Apple's plans the author concludes by saying "It seems that 2005 is really more like the first year of high definition video."

Let's see what Apple has to show us at NAB...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 01:35 PM   #23
Inner Circle

At this point it seems like a safe guess that Apple is leaning more towards DVCProHD as their main low-cost HD production solution, with HDV being a bit of an afterthought for them. Everything about their actions over the past year or so is consistent with this assumption...
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 04:55 AM   #24
Major Player

FCP will have HDV support, how well it supports it will be the question
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #25
Contributor

What an impatient and ungrateful lot. Look at the incredible track record of final cut pro. Doesn't that tell you anything? You know Apple is working on it, so why not give them some time to work it out?
Chris Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite