Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 6th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A simple edit, no?

I'm new to FCP and have a question.

I may get a gig doing what should be a simple re-edit on a corporate video, in which case the company would hand me a promotional video on dvd (i.e., a previously completed project) and ask me to insert some stock footage in 2 or 3 places, with some music over the stock footage.

I should be able to take the dvd and capture it with FCP just like any other recorded media, correct?

Then I capture the stock footage, insert it into the timeline and, voila! I've got a re-edited promotional video (dvd, actually). Yes? No?

In other words, I'll re-edit a once-completed project without using the digital master.

Any thoughts?
Kevin Hodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:31 PM   #2
Major Player

You cannot really caputer a DVD into FCP or any other NLE without doing one of 2 things 1) play the DVD in a player and use analog outputs to a analog/firewire converter and capture to FCP with some degradation of signal or 2) rip the DVD files to get them raw MPEG2 -> DV using something like this: http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html

Either way, using the original master footage will give you much better quality. In the end, once you create a DVD of the footage, you've lost some quality due to compression so you are better off going with the originals most often.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Mark, I was afraid of that -- that degradation would be an issue. I'm not sure of which format the video was shot except that it's digital. If they shot in mini-dv or dv cam, I'm good to go.

Thanks again.

-Kevin
Kevin Hodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 04:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

check out the program dvdxdv, it'll do what you want
Alan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Do you have personal experiance with this?
It seems an awesome answer to some archive, re-edit,time consuming problems I sometimes have.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 02:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

yeah it works perfectly
there is a demo version out there, it puts a nice watermark right in the middle of the screen :-P
Alan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Alan. :-)
Kevin Hodes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite