Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 5th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Wrangler

FCS is Barron's "Gadget of the Week"

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB...024073915.html

I was surprised to open Barron's Magazine today and see they chose Final Cut Studio as their "Gadget of the Week". Barron's is a business magazine (from the same publisher as the Wall Street Journal) and the gadget of the week is usually something like a cell phone, battery powered bike or another consumer product.

But since it is a business magazine, there is always a comment about the company which makes the product. Is it true that FCP has actually "devastated Avid"?

Quote:
APPLE'S (TICKER: AAPL) FINAL CUT STUDIO has overtaken products from Avid Technology (AVID) as the standard for Hollywood film editing. Simpler and cheaper options exist, but Apple's beautiful program is worthy of consideration even by amateurs like us.

Once you get into all that Final Cut offers, you will understand why it has devastated Avid's sales of editing systems costing $60,000 or more.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think Avid still has a strong presence, but FCS has, according to Apple figures, Fifty Percent of the market. That's A LOT in not so many years, looking at how long Avid already exists.

In my environment, in small production company's, I only raredom hear about people working on Avid anymore. Everyone works on Final Cut...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Wrangler

FWIW, I just noticed that link above only takes me to a preview of that article when I use another computer and am not logged into barrons.com. But the strange thing is, I can do a google search for these terms

barrons final cut studio gadget

Then click a link to the article, and I see the entire thing. Guess this has something to do with being referred from Google?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Major Player

I can't believe they're recommending FCS.

Now a couple hundred guys with money will order FCS
Most will try to install it on their windows system
The rest will get the product installed, start fcp, and say WTF
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
FWIW, I just noticed that link above only takes me to a preview of that article when I use another computer and am not logged into barrons.com. But the strange thing is, I can do a google search for these terms

I'm amused by the fact that this very discussion is the third-ranked search result at the moment. :-)
Dan Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post

Then click a link to the article, and I see the entire thing. Guess this has something to do with being referred from Google?
This is quite common with chargeable/premium content on news websites. Irritating if you paid for it, great if you didn't
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite