DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   making it fit on the web (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/36543-making-fit-web.html)

Kyle De Priest December 17th, 2004 03:39 PM

making it fit on the web

Hi all,
I know NOTHING about making my 12 minute video go onto a web site with out making it look blotchy and terrible. Right now, it's in a weird format... 192 x 240 NTSC at 48, 000 KHz in FCP 4.1. I need it to retain these dimensions and be roughly 9 to 12 megs in size and in WMV. I have Premiere on a PC and my G5 and my PC are networked. I can make FCP save it as a quicktime file, then use Premiere to change it to WMV. (is there a better way?) I know I can reduce the frame rate and reduce the audio quality. What are the appropriate settings?

When ever I try to shrink it, it comes out blotchy and out of focus with the sound out of sync. I know it's possible. Can any of you basically, give me a step by step on how it's done? I'm a moron when it comes to this stuff. I'm gonna post this on the Premiere site also so hopefuly between the 2 machines, I can get it done!

Thanks. I appreciate your time.

Mark Sloan December 17th, 2004 04:11 PM

Export it from FCP with the Animation codec, it will be really big, but you won't lose any quality. Once on your PC, import it into Premiere and then make your WMV. You should be able to figure out your maximum data rate by taking your total number of seconds and total number of kilobytes and doing some division...

Estimates:
12x60 = 720 seconds
10 MB = 10,000 kb

To get it down to 10MB you have only about 15kb per second to work with... that isn't a lot to work with... you can't get good results at that rate. But because of your small frame size, try 50kb per second and see how that looks. I would guess, that even at that size, to get it to look really good you'll need 100kb per second... but try and see.

Kyle De Priest December 17th, 2004 05:11 PM

Trying now. I appreciate the advice. Will let you know how it turns out!

Kyle De Priest December 17th, 2004 05:47 PM

Now... the problem is that both Premiere and WME are changing the frame size. They force it from it's original 192 x 240 to 320 x 240. Am I missing something?
-Kyle

Mark Sloan December 17th, 2004 08:14 PM

For Premiere (I haven't used it in a long time) make sure your timeline/sequence is set to your odd sizing, otherwise it will do what FCP was doing earlier... Any Premiere users that can help? Not sure about WME, I would guess there is a setting for custom to set your size, otherwise it probably defaults to a standard 4:3 aspect ratio.

Guy Cochran December 20th, 2004 09:18 PM

Cleaner XL on the PC produces beautiful results so does ProCoder. Flip4mac just introduced a Windows Media Export Component which allows you to do do Windows Media on the Mac.

On the cheap... can you dump your Sequence to tape from FCP. Bring the tape over to the PC and capture?

Steve LaClair December 28th, 2004 09:34 AM

I really wish it wasn't necessary for you to use .wmv, it's one of the worst codecs I've ever had to put up with. But if you want to pick up a copy of sorenson squeeze it has marvelous output settings for almost anything you can think of (.mov, .wmv, mpeg2, etc)

Alan Tran December 28th, 2004 12:08 PM

Compresssor and MPEG-4 work for me