DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   "Self-Contained" export not working (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/37136-self-contained-export-not-working.html)

John Locke January 1st, 2005 01:46 PM

"Self-Contained" export not working

Something new with FCP 4.5 HD today. I tried exporting using 10-bit lossless as I always have, and checking the "Make self-contained" option so that it's one file, but for some reaon(s), I'm not getting a self-contained file. There will be the main file, then lots of "av" files.

Any idea what's up with that?

John Locke January 4th, 2005 01:31 AM

Nobody has a clue?

Dave Perry January 4th, 2005 07:18 AM

John,

Did it just stop working, or have you made any system updates? Personally, I'm staying with 10.3.5. Having never had any troubles with system updates, I started having them with 10.3.6 and .7 so went back to .5.

Have you tried trashing your FCP prefs?

I work with DV and 10 bit as well (on separate machines) and have never had trouble exporting FCP self containe movies.

John Locke January 4th, 2005 11:30 AM

Dave,

Thanks for the response! I recently updated to 10.3.7. I hadn't experienced any problems with that until now.

I'm wondering if the fact that I'm exported the clip to an external drive is causing the problem? Unfortunately, I don't have enough space on my desktop drives themselves to export to, so I purchased a 250Gb LaCie.

Yes, this is a new problem...until now I've always been able to export self-contained files. The only difference this time from previous exports is the length of the clip. Until now, I was making clips designed to go into online courses, so they were intentionally kept at 1 to 3 minutes in length. Short films I've made have also been less than 10 minutes. This is the first time I've tried to export something more than 20 minutes long--22.5 to be exact. Could that have something to do with it?

David Chao January 7th, 2005 10:11 PM

John,

Get a PC, start using Premiere Pro and you'll never run into problems like this again! Ha ha ha... just kidding. I don't know how to fix your problem. I just wanted to stop by and say hi.

David Chao

John Locke January 7th, 2005 11:08 PM

Everybody...excuse me while I change the direction of this thread for a second. I've been trying to contact this guy...

David,

Where, literally, in the world are you? Send me an e-mail. I tried to contact you at a couple of your old addresses but no luck. Are you back in Tokyo?

David Chao January 8th, 2005 01:42 AM

Still in "BeerTown" Portland, Oregon. We'll be leaving soon though.

And to stay on topic... sorry, John, I really can't help you with your problem with FCP.

David

Dave Perry January 8th, 2005 02:22 AM

John,

Are you actually choosing "10 bit lossless" when exporting? Is that the formmat in which the footage is catured?

When exporting a full resolution FCP self contained movie for use a master final cut in another application such as DVDSP or iDVD, I've found it best to export using the capture settings. Which means, you should not be choosing any settings, other than Make Movie Self Contained, in your export dialog window.

John Locke January 8th, 2005 11:29 AM

Dave,

I'll try that and see what happens. Still, it's odd that I've done things the same way all this time and only now am I experiencing problems.

John Locke January 8th, 2005 11:47 AM

Still didn't work. A bit different result, though. At first, I was getting lots of "AV" files along with the movie file. This time, I just got "av-1" and "av-2".

Strange.