DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Making notes while playing back (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/37219-making-notes-while-playing-back.html)

Linc Kesler January 3rd, 2005 03:51 PM

Making notes while playing back

I frequently need to make notes on a session while playing it back (so as to later set breakpoints around content sections, etc.). Is there a way of continuing playback in FCP (3) while shifting focus to a text editor so as to make notes? This is a small problem, but a solution would much improve my workflow. Thanks in advance for any ideas. Linc Kesler

Glenn Chan January 3rd, 2005 03:59 PM

Would pencil and paper work in this case?

Giroud Francois January 3rd, 2005 05:24 PM

it would be easy to program this in Visual Basic, but since you mention FCP, it is not in PC world.
Just to give an idea to some developper.

A mediaplayer control, showing video with stop/play/pause,FF/REW button and a text box just under.
We would be able to scroll the video, input text at any time.
This would create a pointer (hh:mm:ss:frame), grab a thumbnail of video and save the text.
You could then generate an excel file with all the info.
I think it is not more than an 1 hour work.

Linc Kesler January 3rd, 2005 11:24 PM

Thanks for your suggestion. Back in the PC world, I had a small text editor that could be set to stay on top and would take focus without disturbing the operation of whatever program was running. I don't need to link the text I am writing to the video. I just want to continue making notes while the video is running (I'm creating notes for the menuing system of the resulting dvd, and for a series index). It's easy enough when I am in my office, as I can play the video on my office machine and take notes on my notebook, but when I'm at home or on the road with only the portable, no such luck. I'm new enough to the mac world to not know the little tricks, and it's been a few years since I've jumped into any low level OS stuff to do it myself (and those OS are long gone). Thanks again for any further tips. LK

Patrick Pike January 4th, 2005 02:38 AM

You could always use Konfabulator (until Dashboard) and rig up a widget such as "Notes" to run on top. Or even use the supplied "Stickes" for basic note taking.

I've just gotten in the habit of using a pad of paper and writing down a lot of TC notes.

Bob J. Trimmer January 4th, 2005 01:34 PM

Making Notes

I have a small Sony Digtal Voice Recorder. I found a last years model #ICD-B17 V-O-R for $35.00. It will hold 300 minutes.This one has two folders to divide your notes. You can also index your notes. For me this works perfect. There are several brands to choose from. I chose this one because of price.I also was very impressed at the quality of sound at playback,(very clear). It also is very usefull on location for making quick notes.

Bob Trimmer