DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 26th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

Hey all,

I'm having issues with the HD10, even with plugging and unplugging the firewire, I'm still getting snow on the iMovie HD screen. Any tips?

Thanx,

heath
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #17
MPS Digital Studios

Does everyone else's iMovie capture at 1/2 speed? What am I doing wrong?

heath
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:10 PM   #18
HD for Indies

why HDV import is 1/2 speed

it's contingent upon processor speed, among other things.

It's having to convert HDV to AIC, that's a lot of math.

-mike
http://www.hdforindies.com
mike@hdforindies.com
Mike Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #19
MPS Digital Studios

I figured it'll play back at normal speed.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this workflow...

heath
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #20
Wrangler

Update on Workflow for 1080i Footage

There seems to be an issue with vertical lines when viewing iMovie captured and generated AIC in the canvas.

My suggested solution is:

- Import the AIC in the FCp browser
- Set the sequence to 1920 X 1080 (Non anamorphic)
- Keep the rest of the settings the same (Square, Upper, 29.97, AIC 1080i)

- Use Media Manager to make an offline copy of your project in the codec of choice (DV, MJpeg, DVCPRO HD) by using the recompress feature
- Edit in that codec
- Rebuild the timeline online using the AIC clips

Also... Jerry Miles from Promax discovered that you can just Click and drag the footage from iMove right into FCP HD... Yes, from the app without having to show content from the iMovie project.

I did the 1080i test on the 5 Freeway yesterday... Took 4.5 Hours from Irvine to LA! (It's a 45 mile trip) Since we weren't moving at all for 1.5 hours, I decided to do some work.

Frederic
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 12:09 PM   #21
MPS Digital Studios

Frederic and everyone,

If I captured on Lumiere HD 1.5 (beta v. 8) and cut in the 1080i DVCPro HD codec, can I use iMovie HD to go back to the FX1 in native HD?

heath
Old January 27th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Re: Smooth iMovie/FCP HD HDV Workflow

<<<-- Originally posted by Frederic Haubrich :

Clicking on 'Advance' for the compressor will allow you to set the codec to 720p or 1080i or other (more coming soon...) -->>>

Sounds like someone's working on making 1080p24 out of the Sony's 1080i60 footage. :)

Thank you Frederic!

The only question I have is what the new iMovie's timeline limit is. FCP's is 4 hours. What's iMovie 5's?
Murad Toor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #23
Wrangler

My findings

Hi all,

I'm currently posting a music vid I shot on Tues with 2 FX1s. I chose the FX1 over the DVX for two reasons (I''ve been shooting all my vids on the DVX since it became available)

1-Higher res after downconversion

2-I needed slow motion for this project. I decided to try (and then tested last week) shooting in 30i, and then slowing down and simultaneously downconverting in After Effects. The idea was to treat each HD field like an SD frame, thereby giving 60fps source material to work with.

So I'm post-processing and downconverting all my footage now before the edit. I was having trouble bringing my iMovie clips into FCP...I was seeing the weird right hand side vertical line problem, among other things. Here's what I've learned:

iMovie takes the 1440x1080 HDV and transcodes to a 1440x1080 AIC QT file. Then it sets a flag in the file to playback at 1920x1080. QT Player and FCP read this flag correctly.

When you place this clip in a 1920x1080 timeline, it's the QT library unsqueezing the clip before FCP can do anything to it. This causes problems in FCP (and also in After Effects, as I found out). I was getting ghost chroma lines every few frames, and other artifacts.

So here's how you fix it: Open your iMovie AIC clips in QT Player Pro, Apple-J to get movie track properties. Select Video Track on the left, and then Size on the right pulldown. Resize the clip from 1920x1080 to 1440x1080. Save, then close.

Bring the clip back into FCP...now the clip will be un-anamorphasized. Go into the clips properties and tell FCP it's an anamorphic clip. Then use a Fredric's 1440 AIC sequence settings. Sucess!

By the way, the normal-speed sections of my music video I shot in Cineframe30, because I needed a 24P look but didn't have time to do 30i to 24P tests. As it turns out, 30P FX1 footage converts to 24P MUCH nicer than I would have predicted. I'm going to convert all my 30P performance footage to 24P, adn then edit in a 24P SD timeline.

Cheers,
Nate Weaver
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #24
Trustee

Hey Nate, can you post the link??
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #25
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : Hey Nate, can you post the link?? -->>>

Er, link to what?
Old January 28th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #26
MPS Digital Studios

Frederic,

Quick question: In my settings tab on the sequence, I've set it to DVCPro HD 1080i 1280x1080. Should I keep it like that, or customize it to 1440x1080?

Also, should the QuickTime settings also be on DVCPro HD 1080i60 or is regular DV (720x480) okay?

heath
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #27
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : Frederic,

Quick question: In my settings tab on the sequence, I've set it to DVCPro HD 1080i 1280x1080. Should I keep it like that, or customize it to 1440x1080?

Also, should the QuickTime settings also be on DVCPro HD 1080i60 or is regular DV (720x480) okay?

heath -->>>

I'm not Fredric, but I'll re-iterate his published settings and also the settings that worked for me...

None of the DVCPRO HD sequences will work with AIC clips. Both the resolution and codec is wrong (that is, it's wrong unless you like rendering).

Sequence should look like this:

http://homepage.mac.com/nweaver/.Pictures/FCP_AIC.jpg
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #28
MPS Digital Studios

Okay, I did that, but the image is now stretched out horizontally and when I activate 16:9, it gets squashed down even more...

heath
Old January 28th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #29
Major Player

time code issue

Frederic,

thank you for your nice method!

i have a question concerning timecode. is original timecode imported as in original? i meand each frame has exact TC as original one (on the hdv tape) - i know that FX1 has different approach than Z1 if we are talking about timecodes, but it's importand to know that.

if i need to do the following:

- going from HDV tape to disk using iMovie
- importing from iMovie, exporting to FCP
- editing on FCP HD
- recording back to HDV camera/rcorder

will the SOURCE timecode be exaxtly as on tapes?

thank you,

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #30
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : Okay, I did that, but the image is now stretched out horizontally and when I activate 16:9, it gets squashed down even more...

heath -->>>

There's lots of places to go wrong, as I found out when trying to get this to work. What are the properties on your clips?

In FCP, as you scan down the properties, each clip should be 1440x1080, square pixels, anamorphic. I also forgot to mention to define the upper field as dominant in clip properties. I can't remember if this makes a difference in aspect ratio in FCP, but it does in After Effects.

I didn't stress this in my first post, but it's very important to resize your iMovie clips in QT Player Pro. If FCP sees your clips as 1920x1080, none of this will work. Size them to 1440 in QT Player.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite