DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 10th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #1
Wrangler

Weird bitrate issue in Compressor when exporting H264

I'm running FCS3 on Leopard. QT 7.6.2.

In compressor when I encode 1080 into H264 and apply the "H.264 6.75Mbps" preset everything outputs in full 1080p glory at the expected bitrate of 7810kbps. However it is very slow because it is doing multi-pass.

I thought I would compare it to single-pass so I duplicated the preset and turned off multi-pass. That's literally all I changed - the bit rate sliders stayed where they were. The encode then came out with an average bit rate of only 2653kbps !!!! That's only 1/3rd of the 7810kbps of multi-pass.

This is repeatable for me. Anyone else? I am going to run the Quicktime update that just came out and see if there is any difference.
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Wrangler

Update:

I tried cranking the bitrate up to 20mbps and it made absolutely no difference when multi-pass was turned off. The resultant movie was still only around 2mbps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite