DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Quicktime Pro activation under FCS3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/386909-quicktime-pro-activation-under-fcs3.html)

Markus Bo September 11th, 2009 02:44 PM

Quicktime Pro activation under FCS3?

Hi all,

long time ago that I needed Quicktime Pro the last time. Now, after upgrading to FCS 3 I find just Quicktime 7 and X but without any Pro function. Does anybody know how to activate it again? I tried both FCS (old and new) activation keys but nothing....

Thanks
Markus

Don Miller September 11th, 2009 02:54 PM

Pro no more

Markus Bo September 11th, 2009 03:03 PM

Hi Don,

that means buying a license to use it for import?

Markus

Robert Lane September 11th, 2009 04:42 PM

Markus,

Apple has unfortunately done yet another bone-headed thing with a core application. With Quicktime X there is no "pro" option, and there are no output options like those in Quicktime 7 at all, you're left with an oversimplified "ilife" options only.

Apple has included the Quicktime 7 application in the Snow Leopard disks under "optional installs". You can install QT 7 and if you already have FCP installed then you'll have the "pro" options readily available. Or, you can put in your own pro license code and get back what you had with 10.5 OS.

Why Apple chose to separate QT into these separate entities is unclear and, why they simply didn't give QT "X" all the pro-options so many professionals need is also baffling.

So in fact there are now 2 completely separate versions of QT: "X" which is the default player for 10.6 and, QT 7 which is now the "old" QT we're all familiar with. Go figure.

Here's a detailed article about QT X: Snow Leopard: QuickTime X | Mac OS X | Playlist | Macworld

Boudewijn de Kemp September 12th, 2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Bo (Post 1341309)
Hi all,

long time ago that I needed Quicktime Pro the last time. Now, after upgrading to FCS 3 I find just Quicktime 7 and X but without any Pro function. Does anybody know how to activate it again? I tried both FCS (old and new) activation keys but nothing....

Thanks
Markus

Just to make sure... did you find the QT 7 under the Applications>Utilities folder?
It seems that it is placed there if you upgrade.

Markus Bo September 15th, 2009 06:53 AM

Yes, I found it there but no way to activate it.

Jonathan Jones September 16th, 2009 10:20 PM

It's pretty understandable why Apple separated the versions out with varying functionality, and Apple's reasoning makes sense, but it still seems like a fairly bone-headed way to do it in terms of serving the Pro user base.

In any case, can you clarify, before you upgraded to FCS3, did you already have QT 7 on your system? And if so, was it the Pro version?

If you already had QT Pro 7 before upgrading to FCS3, and the Pro key is no longer functional for it, you should be able to re-input the same code you used before. It is not the same code as your FCS license, it is a dedicated code just for QT. But if you had it before, Apple can email it to you again if you can't find any other record of it.

-Jon

Tom Cadwalader September 17th, 2009 10:53 AM

Getting Reg. Key

If you bought Pro online from Apple this link with get you the info you need to re-enter.
Used it just last night.
QuickTime Pro Key: Retrieving a lost key
The registration is under Quicktime Player 7/Registration.
Enter information and you are good to go.