Mixing 4:3 with 16:9 clips together. How to do it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing 4:3 with 16:9 clips together. How to do it?

I want to mount, uisng Final Cut Pro, a film from old clips taken with my old Sony VX2000 camera. But the problem is that I want to put in the same timelime clips taken with 4:3 format and clips taken with 16:9 format (I presume it is a false 16:9).
I was thinking of using a mask with 2 horizontal black strip on top and at the bottom of the 4:3 clips and get the 16:9 clips with it as well.
Is there an automatic way of doing it in FCP?
Francois Dormoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Wrangler

Yes, FCP will automatically do this. I'm not clear on what your final format will be - 16:9 or 4:3 however.

If you want 4:3, then just create a 4:3 sequence and drop your 16:9 clips into it. They will automatically be letterboxed with black bars above and below to fit.

If you want 16:9, then just create a 16:9 sequence and drop your 4:3 clips into it. They will automatically be pillarboxed with black bars to the left and right.

In either case, if you don't like the effect, enable image+wireframe from the dropdown menu in the viewer. Now set the view to 25% so you can see the gray area around the image. You can "grab" one of the dots at the corners of the image and drag outwards to zoom the picture out until it fills the frame and the black bars go away. Of course it will depend on the quality of the original footage as to whether this looks good.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Please search

This issue has been discussed in-depth here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-line...-material.html

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for these feed back.
Francois Dormoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #5
Major Player

I would also suggest reading this article from Ken Stone dot Net. It is the best article/tutorial I have ever read on the subject. Faking It : Making 4:3 footage work in 16:9 projects.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite