monitor question for G5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 20th, 2005, 03:30 AM   #1
New Boot

I guess it didn't post right the first time, so here it goes again...

I am planning on getting a Dual 1.8 G5 for editing on FCP. I am also planning on getting a Sony Pd170 for shooting weddings and some of my own stuff. I am just not sure if I need to get an Apple monitor, or if a third party LCD monitor like a Sony or Samsung will do ok. I just know that for the price of the 20" Apple I can get 2 of the Sony or Samsung 19" LCDs.

Also, if I am better off getting the Apple monitor, do I even need to consider the 23" HD display. I want to get the best setup but I don't want to spend money needlessly. Thanks for any help and suggestions...

Jim
Jim Vesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The G5 can have on of two graphics cards I think. Nvidia and ATI. Both have dual display support but one connector is an ADC connector so you'll need the $150 adapter (ADC to DVI) to go to the Sony/Samsungs.

You need to research the reviews of the displays you are interested in. Apple LCD panels get very good reviews for brightness, viewing angle etc and they are well integrated with the G5. The two things I can think of right away is that the touch sensitive power button on the display also turns on the G5. That button can be reprogrammed by the OS to sleep the computer. Also, the display settings can be controlled by the MacOS display control panel. The others may as well. I don't know.

Whether you "need" a 23 vs a 20 is something that comes with experience and technique. If you want the "best" then why stop with the 23? There's a 30". :-)

Personally, I prefer one 20" HD monitor and one 17" SD monitor. Unfortunately, that configuration is no longer available from Apple as they've discontinued the 17" size in the current aluminum line up. If you go the route of refurbished or used to get this configuration in the Cinema line (plexiglass), note that those models use ADC connectors and you'll need one adapter (DVI to ADC) in order to connect 2 of them.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2005, 07:11 PM   #3
New Boot

I just set up my G5 exactly as Ernest describes, getting one 20" and one 17" (with adapter) Apple displays online from eBay. They are really a pleasure to work with, as good as anything I've seen. Plus, as he mentions, the switch is quite handy. The extra real estate is great with FCP.

One thing you should remember, though, is that you ultimately need a video monitor for color correction work. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all the world's TV's looked like the image you see on a 20 (or 32!) inch gas plasma monitor. Alas, that's why they invented NTSC (Never Twice the Same Color). When you do your final color correction, you should hook it up to a monitor or at least a TV.
Gary Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Gary. Cool. I'm curious. Do you put the 20" on the left or right? I had mine on the right with the system menu on the 20" but after a while, I switched the 20" to the left and put the system menu on the 17". I like it better.

Ernest
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:35 PM   #5
New Boot

Ernest,

I have two important considerations. One, I'm 56 and wear varifocal glasses. The other is that I'm right handed.

Not sure how important those are, but I asked my son aka upcoming Hollywood DP/editor, how he does it but he hasn't answered yet.

Right now I have the 20" on the left with the timeline etc and "source" video e.g. viewer on that screen. Then I pull the canvas over to the 17" and fill the screen with it. I wish there was an option to remove the surrounding frame/controls, etc. as I use a dedicated keyboard with jog/shuttle dials and really don't need it.

I think this is a holdover from my machine days plus a little old age vision problems (mostly with the small type).

So far it's working pretty well but I'll try other configurations as I get more familiar with the program, and others as well.

Gary
Gary Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 02:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just bought a G5 and 2 Lacie electron blue IV's. Do you know if you have to use the ADC to DVI adapter or can you just use a DVI splitter for the dual monitor setup?
Thanks,
C.
C. Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle

You have to use the ADC to DVI adapter for the second DVI monitor. A DVI splitter (if there is such a thing) will only give you the same signal on both monitors.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 07:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have one of the new 23" cinema displays. I use FCP HD just fine with it. But just so you know, there have been color consistancy issues with the monitor. The edges of it have a dingy yellow tint and there's a pinkish cast on the left side that isn't on the right.

These problems weren't even noticable to me until I read about them on the apple discussion boards. They don't bother me as far as video work is concerned since I use a CRT monitor for viewing. However, this could pose a problem if you plan on doing graphics work.

If you are thinking about purchasing this monitor, you should check out the displays section on the apple discussion boards. Some people say they don't have any issues with it... most people say they do. As far as I know, apple has yet to even acknowledge the problem.
Deniz Turkmen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite