DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   24p capturing & output with FCP & XL2 question.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/40117-24p-capturing-output-fcp-xl2-question.html)

Joseph Andolina February 25th, 2005 03:29 PM

24p capturing & output with FCP & XL2 question..

Can anyone walk me thru the proper steps in capturing footage into FCP4 shot 24p (both 16:9 & 4:3) with the XL2. That is to say to retain the qualiity of the original footage when printing to tap. It seems I'm pretty much sucessfully buring it to tape, but the quality suffers with the end result. Is final cut supposed to be doing proper conversions for 24p footage, or is there a step I'm missing? Also, I'm not even sure if I'm using the proper capture setting whe doing this. With the choices of either DV NTSC 48 khz Anamorphic and DV50 NTSC 48 khz Anamorphic, I'm not sure which one is the right one to use with my 16:9 footage. What's the differance between the the two? The footage I shot in 24p was not the 2:3:3:2 pulldown, but the other 2:3 setting on the XL2

Also, it seems to be a bit jerky looking at times, at least while trying to play back what's captured in Final Cut Pro on some panning shots, slow pans and sone odd artifact patterns when the video is panning I don;t seem to notice on the original tape footage.

Greg Boston February 25th, 2005 11:52 PM

I just got done capturing the same type of footage into fcp. It should be set for DV-NTSC 48khz. Then check the anamorphic box to let fcp know that it is widescreen. Then look below and you'll see a place to enter the base frame rate for editing on the timeline. Set this to 23.98 and you are good to go.

I haven't done the output part just yet so I can't help you there.

-gb-

Joseph Andolina February 26th, 2005 12:07 AM

Thnaks for your response...

I'm asuming you're talking about when the "log & capture" window window is up, to pick the "DV NTSC 48khz" under the Capture/Input pulldown. But I don't see a place to check a box labeled "anamorphic". or anywhere to choose the framerate for 23.98. So, is there another route I need to go to make these choices?

Would be curious to hear what results you get when you go to bring it back out of FCP.

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Boston : I just got done capturing the same type of footage into fcp. It should be set for DV-NTSC 48khz. Then check the anamorphic box to let fcp know that it is widescreen. Then look below and you'll see a place to enter the base frame rate for editing on the timeline. Set this to 23.98 and you are good to go.

-gb- -->>>

Sam Amir October 29th, 2005 11:35 AM

Any luck with the 24p editing on FCP?

Hi Joseph,

I have a similar problem: both 4:3 and 16:9 shot on 24p, using XL2...after capturing on FCP (using 23.97 option for capture ans sequence), the image looks jittery and interlace lines appear when there is movement.

Since you appear to have the same problem...I am wondering what your solution was?

-Sam

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Andolina
Thnaks for your response...

I'm asuming you're talking about when the "log & capture" window window is up, to pick the "DV NTSC 48khz" under the Capture/Input pulldown. But I don't see a place to check a box labeled "anamorphic". or anywhere to choose the framerate for 23.98. So, is there another route I need to go to make these choices?

Would be curious to hear what results you get when you go to bring it back out of FCP.

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Boston : I just got done capturing the same type of footage into fcp. It should be set for DV-NTSC 48khz. Then check the anamorphic box to let fcp know that it is widescreen. Then look below and you'll see a place to enter the base frame rate for editing on the timeline. Set this to 23.98 and you are good to go.

-gb- -->>>

Joseph Andolina November 1st, 2005 08:06 PM

Sam,

I never really got an entire sollution suggestion. But it seems that I don't notice the jerky look after outputting back to tape or DVD. But, the output to DVD just doesn't seem to hold the quality as the original footage. It softens it up a bit, not as sharp as the original.

Joe