DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 19th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Motion Workflow for titles?

It astonishes me how difficult it is to get seemingly simple results from Motion.
My workflow is to create a 3D title from a template, render selection as a QuickTime and replace a placeholder in my FCP sequence.

The problems I encounter are many.
1) This may be the nature of the beast but when revisions come, going back into Motion is timely and requires re-rendering. In color your renders can be updated via XML- is this the same for Motion?
2) Exporting HD from motion produces soft and jagged titles. I've verified my sequence settings and they all uniform... is there something I'm missing?
3) Lastly, I use alpha on all of my exports. I noticed on export options there is a way to select an alpha layer - I'm certain there must be a way to set this up in project settings...
Where do I look?

Can someone please share their workflow for lower thirds titles?

I did get a book but haven't had a chance to dive in but learning and deadlines sometimes don't mix. Honestly, I may go with AE instead of Motion simply because of all the unknowns expressed above.
Thanks,
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

For customised lower thirds in Motion and to use in FCP, my workflow is save the customised lower third as a template and not render it out as a movie.
I can then use that template in FCP, change names in the placeholder etc.

When you need to make further changes such as different font and the colors etc., then right click the clip and send to motion, make your changes inside motion and simply save it and then return to FCP, you may then need to render that clip out when inside FCP. This is my workflow.
I make all my lower thirds in HD.
Anthony J. Howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Anthony.
Interesting. I had no idea you could open customized Motion templates in FCP.
Going to try that today!
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite