DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   iMovie questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/4257-imovie-questions.html)

Bob England January 23rd, 2005 12:49 AM

Didn't have anything like this difficulty connecting my HD1 to my PowerBook 1.5 Ghz G4 15. At first iMovie HD didn't recognize my camera, but everything was fine when I quit and restarted iMovie with the camera already on and connected. Everything worked smoothly and iMovie HD unlike any other HDV capture I've seen, Mac or PC, shows you a preview on screen while importing. Once it had finished importing and transcoding (this happens in somewhat less than realtime, depending on your Mac) scrubbing and working with the resultant clips was as fast and responsive as working with DV. The way it ought to be! Even exporting back to tape is easy, though rendering the timeline is nowhere near realtime (2-3x at least, I'd say).
Obviously, I'm impressed. With iMovie doing HDV like this, I can't wait to see what Final Cut Pro 5 will add to the mix...

Heath McKnight January 26th, 2005 08:59 PM

Did you capture at 1/2 time? I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong (and double posting, too, I might add).

heath

Heath McKnight January 26th, 2005 09:31 PM

iMovie HD problems

Besides capturing at 1/4 to 1/2 speed, I'm running into another problem: why did I just capture for 32 minutes, but only about 4 minutes ended up actually being captured?!

heath

Gabriele Sartori January 27th, 2005 12:34 AM

"MPEG/DV switchability is temperamental"

This has nothing to do with the camera, I use the camera on 3 different PC under windows XP and this problem never existed. On one of the Pc I've 1 1394 port connected to a DVHS VCR and the other used for the HD1 all is working fine without a single glitch. I switch the two devices using the JVC SW as well as the freeware apps on the net. All is 100% fine.

Frederic Lumiere January 27th, 2005 11:47 AM

Heath,

Either you has a timecode break and it split the clip or you only had this much HDV footage on the tape or you ran out of room?

Frederic

Heath McKnight January 27th, 2005 12:11 PM

The first capture, when I hit stop, it still processed it. The second time, it didn't keep processing it after I hit stop...

heath

Steve Mullen January 30th, 2005 10:18 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : The first capture, when I hit stop, it still processed it. The second time, it didn't keep processing it after I hit stop...
heath -->>>

By chance did you unplug the i.LINK cable the second time while the conversion was running?

Heath McKnight January 30th, 2005 10:33 PM

No, actually, but I can say this. If the tape is 10 minutes in and the video is only 2 minutes on the screen (1/4 to 1/2 speed), it's not going to process it if I hit stop to the 10 minutes. It's where it's at, 2 minutes.

heath

Bob England February 2nd, 2005 01:57 PM

That isn't how it has worked for me.
As long as I leave the camera on and connected (basically, leave it alone), iMovie continues to process/import the clips until it has caught up to where the camera was when I clicked the Stop button in iMovie.

Heath McKnight February 2nd, 2005 09:42 PM

Bob,

I wish it did that for me...

heath

Christopher C. Murphy February 3rd, 2005 08:35 AM

Heath, have you tried deleting you preferences files for iMovie? Maybe delete all references to iLife and then re-install. Maybe your old iMovie settings are being used for some reason.

Jack Wheeler February 3rd, 2005 11:26 AM

Can I edit BOTH PAL and NTSC at the same time on iMovie?

I am still in the middle of my dilemma on which version VX2100 to buy, but seeing as I have a NTSC PC series Sony already (I live in Europe....long story), IF I do get the PAL camera, can I edit (download and cut) both versions in the same project?

That is: for example 30 clips NTSC loaded, then load 30 PAL and work with both?

PAL makes sense for now - but ........NTSC has the flexibility to be used wherever I am....

Richard Alvarez February 3rd, 2005 11:38 AM

no

Shane Ross February 3rd, 2005 12:46 PM

I second that...

no.

Marto Lautz February 3rd, 2005 03:52 PM

I have imovieHD working with the sony fx1 it is woring well (only in the same chain of the hard drive trough the firewire 800 card bus).
one thing taht surprice me is that the cache for the files prior de-compression seems to be on the internal hard drive even when I have the imovie project on the external hard drive it seems to slow down the proccess.
any way of change imovie cache to other location?
i think it'll work much faster wihtout using the slow internal hd.
thanks
Martin