iMovie questions - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:03 PM   #301
Major Player

It is a bit of a setup, and frustrating if you don't follow the "right" steps.

First, I try to make sure that the camera isn't on when plugging or unplugging it. I try not to have the video edit program running until the camcorder is plugged in and turned on. Be sure the camcorder is set to Play/Edit mode before starting the program, this seems to help.

Start the video software, make a new project and be sure to select the DV Widescreen in the new movie project screen, I think under the advanced button or options arrow.

You should now be able to capture in Widescreen DV format. Similar steps should work if you open an existing DV Widescreen project, just make sure the project is set that way.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:58 AM   #302
Wrangler

if you are outputting to DVD using iDVD from iMovie, the software will automatically downconvert for SD-DVD delivery for you. so it doesn't matter on the front end how you edit the footage, format-wise, unless you plan a delivery other than SD-DVD and need to reconfigure. you didn't mention your delivery plans, but this could possibly save you the step....the end results look pretty nice.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:17 AM   #303
Regular Crew

Thanks for your adivce. The main reason I wanted to import SD instead of HDV was to save on editing time. Delivery will be SD-DVD so your advice on importing to iDVD is helpful. I will try to do it following all the steps perfectly and see if it won't work. Thanks again!
Evan Dowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #304
Regular Crew

Optimizing iMovie output for huge screen

A friend and I are completing a 5- to 10-minute documentary and have been invited to show the short as part of program of longer video works at a local theater in a few weeks.

I don't have the exact screen dimensions, but I believe the video will be projected from the original projection booth and centered within the cinema's widescreen.

This is a fairly huge auditorium -- I'm told it originally seated more than 1,000.

So, my question is this: We'll be assembling our video in iMovie HD and burning a disc using iDVD. Is there anything special we should be doing to optimize this for a large screen?

Leigh Hanlon
Leigh Hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #305
Major Player

If you are able to hook a dv cam or deck to the projector i would probably just view the final product off of a mini dv tape instead of going thru the dvd compression. may result in a cleaner picture since its being blown up.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #306
Regular Crew

Matt,

Thanks for the idea. I'm not sure if they'll be set up to do that, but I'll check.

Leigh
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #307
Major Player

Leigh if not i would use the best dvd compression iDvd does and you should be fine. i have been to a few film fests with them projecting dvds and it looked ok. it really comes down to how they have the projector setup etc. as I have seen some projections that looked horrorible but i beleieve it was due to not having it set up correctly because the discs i receved that were shown looked decent on my tv.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #308
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stahley
If you are able to hook a dv cam or deck to the projector i would probably just view the final product off of a mini dv tape instead of going thru the dvd compression. may result in a cleaner picture since its being blown up.
The projector will still only project an SD image.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:33 AM   #309
Regular Crew

Update: I found that if you set the VCR mode to automatic, then iMove will work properly with the downconvert.
Evan Dowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #310
New Boot

IMovie file unreadable

I have used IMovie to make slide shows for several years. I now am making movies And after hours of tweeking the video. I saved it and opened it , or tried to and the application said "Project File is Unreadable".

Any suggestions?
Lew
Lew Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #311
Wrangler

did you happen to empty iMovie's internal trash can? that can corrupt your entire file. don't ever throw anything away until the project is completed to its final delivery method.

do a search for iMovie's "Media" file and see if you can recover the clips. it won't spare you the hours of lost tweaking, but it can save you a step if you have to do it over. you can re-import (select all, drag, drop) those files into a new project file, if you need to do it again.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #312
New Boot

Importing iMovie project to Final Cut

Hi,
I need to have a doco edited pretty soon but do not own a copy of final cut yet.
Is it possible to do the rough cut in iMovie and then import the file into Final Cut Pro?
Are there any complications I need to be aware of?

I have the latest version of iMovie HD and will be getting the universal version of Final Cut.
I have footage shot on a PD150 and an A1 E.

Thanks for any advice on this,

Max
Max Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #313
Inner Circle

iMovie records using the DV stream format.
A- FCP doesn't play back the audio in real-time. Audio needs rendering if it's on the timeline. Audio plays fine in the viewer.
B- DV stream has no timecode. This means you can't recapture from your tapes.

I can't remember if FCP can import iMovie projects... FCExpress can.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #314
Tourist

Final Cut Express will import iMovie projects so long as FCE is as up to date as iMovie. This is due to the iMovie format changing so often, older versions of FCE just wont recognise the file format.

However, I've attempted this and it's no small feat. A lengthy, theme varied iMovie track just gets jumbled all over the place in FCE. I'd just start again.
Robert Lo Bue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #315
Regular Crew

Plugins for iMovie HD5

Guys:

Please pardon my newbie question. I am a FCP user, first-time iMovie HD5 user. Here goes: How do I install a special effect plugin and have it work with iMovie HD5?

I downloaded it from a website and it is in ".dmg.sit" mode. Do I just drop it into the "plugin" folder?

Please help! thanks
Jason Chang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite