DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   iMovie questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/4257-imovie-questions.html)

Jeff Donald March 26th, 2004 07:01 PM

iMovie 4 seems to be a big improvement in stability over previous versions. Last weekend I helped my son edit some stills, add effects, titles, music and burn with iDVD. I was very impressed, seems very stable for it's intended users. FCE is much closer to FCP 4 in terms of feature sets, configuration and output methods and quality. I do know some editors that capture with iMovie, cut it, then export it for import into FCP. iMovie runs well on lower powered computers, whereas FCP chokes with not enough ram etc.

Guest March 26th, 2004 10:19 PM

Jeff,

I am under the impression that iMovie files can't be exchanged or imported into FCE. I'm curious how someone would do that?

:)
Dan

Sharon Fraats March 27th, 2004 01:44 AM

When you export from iMovie save it as a QuickTime format as then you will be able to use it in other applications.

:)

Patricia Kim March 27th, 2004 02:28 PM

My understanding is that iMovie output imported into FCE will not retain chapter marks, transitions, etc. Things may have changed since updates to both have occurred since I first browsed through the manuals, but it may be worth checking on before going too far down the editing road in iMovie if you're planning to finish up in FCE.

Guest March 27th, 2004 06:54 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I recently did a 50 minute video production. I edited 10 minute segments in Imovie, then exported all segments to mini-DV, then imported into FCE and did the final editing.

:) Dan

Murad Toor April 4th, 2004 07:19 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Depner : Thanks for the advice.

I recently did a 50 minute video production. I edited 10 minute segments in Imovie, then exported all segments to mini-DV, then imported into FCE and did the final editing.

:) Dan -->>>

That's a great solution if you're short of HD space. Another method that would work well is to export the 10 minute segments to QuickTime, self-contained movie, DV 48KHz. FCE should have no problem with using such files.

Sharon Fraats April 5th, 2004 08:28 PM

Hey! Now that's what I said....

By the way that is a good idea as you could use the QuickTime Movie in many different applications that are available now days.

iDVD, FCE, FCP, Toast, Avid, etc.

Dan Brown April 5th, 2004 08:32 PM

I upgraded from iMovie to FCE2. Way better, glad I did it, never looking, or going, back.

Not to mention the continuity with FCP, should I ever need that product.

PS, my wife is on the PTA, so I qualified for the educational discount and got it for 1/2 price. Sweet deal.

Murad Toor April 6th, 2004 12:19 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Sharon Fraats : Hey! Now that's what I said....

By the way that is a good idea as you could use the QuickTime Movie in many different applications that are available now days.

iDVD, FCE, FCP, Toast, Avid, etc. -->>>

Sorry, I guess I was just (unintentionally) being a little pedantic, because there are dozens of different kinds of QuickTime movies. So I'll amend my first comment by saying I agree with Sharon. :)

Stephen Warriner April 6th, 2004 09:08 PM

iMovie to MPEG-2, How?

Best software to output MPEG-2 on an iMac with an external drive. Cheaper the better. Must be MPEG-2 though, that is all the server will recognize.

Thank you.

Paul Moore April 8th, 2004 12:15 PM

i normally use cleaner for that or compressor. I think most people use iDVD with iMovie so its all done there. I also think that Quicktime Pro has the ability to export into MPEG 2 but im not 100% sure of that one.

David Slingerland April 8th, 2004 03:48 PM

toast will also work fine. IDVD or DVD Studio Pro are also good..

Stephen Warriner April 8th, 2004 08:27 PM

We have Toast...

Confession time,
The company has a Mac, I have not used it. I am one of those PC types you have heard rumors of.

The Mac has iMovie and toast, but I know little else and even less on how to use it.

The server requires MPEG-2. Can I generate an MPEG-2 file from the timeline using iMovie/Toast, if so, how?

If not, what do I need?

Thank you

Dave Perry April 8th, 2004 09:24 PM

Mac user here. QT Pro does not export to MPEG 2. So far the best encoder I've used is BitVice http://www.innobits.se/.

It uses variable bit rate encoding so that band width is not wasted on frames that don't need it.

iMovie itself dsoes not encode. When you bring a movie into iDVD to author the DVD, the encoding is done there. DVD Studio Pro is an authoring environment as well. Quite a robust one, and uses Compressor as its encoder. BitVice is a stand alone encoder, not an authoring tool. The way my work flow goes, I cut and edit in Final Cut Express, export audio as AIFF then compress it in Sound Studio, add it back to the final cut of my movie, then export the project as a Final Cut Movie. From there I use BitVice to encode to .m2v file for video and .mp2 audio then mux the 2 for my MPEG 2 file. I then bring that into Capty DVD for DVD authoring.

David Slingerland April 9th, 2004 03:57 AM

Export your movie out Imovie, just open up Toast. Toast is very simple, there is a menu where you can burn dvd's. Just drag your movie to toast and thats all...Toast will ask for a dvd, you must have a dvd-writer in your mac.