DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   A pro like editing system for a newbie (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/4306-pro-like-editing-system-newbie.html)

Ryan Wachter October 13th, 2002 01:33 PM

A pro like editing system for a newbie

Alright, I have around 1500-2000 to spend on a editing system. I am new to the digital editing world and will be starting from the beginning. The thing is I don't want to spend a lot of cash on an easier to use system that I will just upgrade down the road cause its not good enough for serious film making. I was looking at a G4 set up. What does everyone suggest. I plan to pick this up in the near future and become familiar with it for my summer shoot. So I have plenty of time. What do you guys suggest.
Thanks
Ryan

Ken Tanaka October 13th, 2002 01:50 PM

You say you are looking for "...a G4 setup"; are we to assume that you already have a Mac or is that purchase to be included in your budget?

Ryan Wachter October 13th, 2002 02:03 PM

I am looking to get the mac, the final cut pro, and a monitor

I can always go over the 2000 dollar range but Id like to try and keep it as close to that as possible.

Ken Tanaka October 13th, 2002 02:11 PM

It sounds like you've already answered your own question: you're planning to get FCP3. This is an excellent choice for a powerful editing platform but you're probably going to have to raise your budget. Are you thinking of using an iMac or a PowerMac G4? The latter (more $) choice would be the more flexible and preferable choice.

Ryan Wachter October 13th, 2002 02:17 PM

yes I was thinking the bottom of the line power g4
They run at about 1700. I would like to find a deal that includes the FCP Power g4 and a decent monitor. Ill be purchasing a second at a later date.
Does anyone know of a place with such a package deal?

Ken Tanaka October 13th, 2002 03:05 PM

Give Zotz Digital, one of our sponsors, a call (zotzdigital.com). I'm sure that they can configure a good system for you at a good price. They're really top-notch folks.

Ryan Wachter October 14th, 2002 11:54 AM

Whats the differences between the quicksilver G4 and a standard power g4? Other than it doesn't come with a dvd drive.

Jeff Donald October 14th, 2002 12:41 PM

Apple gives names to their line of G4 PowerMacs. for example my Dual 450 is in the series called Gigabit, in reference to the ethernet card it comes with. There are two series of QuickSilvers. The first was introduced in July of 2001 and discontinued in January 2002. This was followed by the QuickSilver 2002. They were introduced in January 2002 and discontinued in September 2002. Some dealers will still have the slightly older models in stock with great prices. Don't forget if you buy direct form Apple you'll get a student discount. They will have the older models listed on their site under Special Deals.

Jeff

Ken Tanaka October 14th, 2002 12:42 PM

"Quicksilver" is just the name of the current desktop box design. All current models have DVD-R drives and dual processors. Go to the "store" at Apple.com to get details.

Ryan Wachter October 14th, 2002 01:01 PM

i did, and the quicksilver model doesn't come with the dvd option. You have to add that.

Jeff Donald October 14th, 2002 01:21 PM

That model only exists for the education market. The case (enclosure) is the one used on the older Quicksilver line I referred to in my post above. The current other models are sometimes referred to as Mirrored Doors. The fronts are differnt if you look closely at the pictures.

That is a great model, at a great price, for what you want Ryan. The built in card will handle two monitors when your ready. A DVD burner is easy to add, too. You'll need a decent monitor, FCP 3, and I would add two sticks of 512mb ram. FCP loves ram. Pick up at Comp or Best buy etc. another hard drive for you media (easy to install also). The drive doesn't have to be anything special, 7200 RPM, ATA/IDE drive, maybe 60 to 80 gig and it'll run about $100.

Jeff

Ryan Wachter October 14th, 2002 01:26 PM

now your saying that the quicksilver model there will work for what I want? I am looking for an editing system that will create professional looking shorts, features, documentaries, and also short animations.

Thanks for your time
Ryan

Jeff Donald October 14th, 2002 01:45 PM

It may work. What type of animations are you wanting to do? The editing of shorts, features and documentaries wouldn't be a problem. If you have long animations the rendering time on a model like that might be long also. If you're talking about a little 5 minute animation you would be fine. The rendering of 3D animations require a lot of horsepower. If that is your primary purpose, you would get faster render times with a PC. But if the other video work is the primary purpose that is a great system that can be expanded and updated as your needs change.

If your looking at video or post production as a career FCP or Avid is the required skill set. No one ever asks if I can edit on Vegas Video 3, or the low end Pinnacle systems. Occasionally people ask if I know Premiere. But the vast majority want to know if I can edit with Avid or FCP.

Jeff

Ryan Wachter October 14th, 2002 01:58 PM

alright, i think ive decided to go with that. Just a few more questions and to make sure I understand you right.
It will be for almost all video editing and yes a few 5 min animations here and there. So this quicksilver version is definitly a good buy and will serve my purposes well?
Do you think I should add the DVD, memory, and extra hard drive now or can I get better deals else where? Which ones should I go to best buy compusa for and which ones should I add on now.

so thats a dvd drive
1g of ram 2 sticks of 512
and an extra hard drive 80 gig will work great.

Of course Ill be starting off small with just dv shorts but I want a comp that as i progress i can upgrade if needed but not have to replace, what your saying is with FCP 3 and this quicksilver G4 version I should be good to go?

THank you again for all your time and help.
I really appreciate it.

Jeff Donald October 14th, 2002 02:33 PM

it is definetly a good buy and will suite your purposes, as described. It can be expanded to second monitor (included card supports 2), 4 internal hard drives, built in ethernet, built in USB, built in FireWire and much more.

If your want to buy all this stuff at a fair price, from one retailer try CompUSA. Not my favorite, or low price leader, but if you have a problem they'll stand behind their product and make it right in most cases. If you're comfortable shopping the webb better deals can be had on memory and drives. It's your choice. You don't need a DVD drive right away (at least from what I've read). Your choices are to buy an external FireWire DVD burner or an internal DVD-R/CD-RW burner that will replace your existing CD-RW drive. I bought an internal DVD-R/CD-RW burner (Pioneer A103) and put my CD-RW burner into an external FireWire enclosure. It's great for copying back and forth. But remember you don't need the DVD burner to do shorts etc.

What are you planning to do for a monitor?

You will be good to go with more ram, a second hard drive and FCP 3.

Jeff