Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Tourist

FCP Sequence Settings for NTSC Anamorphic Footage

Hey all,

I am brand new to editing on a Mac, and couldn't find an answer to the issue facing me by searching the forums, so hopefully one of you wonderful folks can help me.

I shot my footage at 16:9 with a Sony HVR-A1U and when capturing the computer correctly judged the footage as NTSC Anamorphic. Now I could've sworn when I started the project I made sure the setting reflected the same, NTSC Anamorphic, but as evidenced by the letterboxed nature of the image in the canvas (see attachement) FCP seems to be making the image 4:3. A quick check of the sequence setting confirms that fact, but any adjustment I make from that point in seems to do weird things to the canvas image (i.e. stretching it, yet keeping the letter box or placing the image in an even larger black space where it's surrounded on all sides by black space).

Please let me know what other information you need to help in the solving of my problem.

Thanks,

Leo
Attached Thumbnails
FCP Sequence Settings for NTSC Anamorphic Footage-picture_1.png  
Leonardo Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Your sequence setting should be HDV 1440x1080 (this is assuming you shot HDV with your Sony).
Check and see how your sequence is setup by hitting Apple+0.
FCP also has some amazing features under the modify command.
Your ticket is either "Scale To Sequence" or "Conform To Sequence".
I use these all the time if I have a shadow of a doubt that my media isn't cutting in native resolution.

Hope this helps,
-C
Attached Thumbnails
FCP Sequence Settings for NTSC Anamorphic Footage-picture-4.png  
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite