Final Cut Question at

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:21 AM   #1
New Boot
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10
Final Cut Question

Hello All,

Looks like I will be getting a Dual 2 G5 within the next week or so but have an issue. I can get get the computer now but can not get the Production Studio bundle until around June if my math is correct (4-6 weeks until release). However, you can no longer buy the Production Suite through Apple because the new version is coming out. Is anyone else dealing with this situation?

It's nice that they let you know that the new program is coming out ahead of time so you don't spend money on the older version just to have a new one out the following week. But, it would be nice if they had something set up where you could still buy Production Suite but get a voucher for the Production Studio if you need an editing program pronto. I don't know maybe I'm just rambling but it just seems a little odd. Anyway, thanks for listening...

Jim Vesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #2
Major Player
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 607
Do you "need" it right now? If you do, man does life suck for you. If you do not, it might be better to hang on as long as you can and see if they actually release the rumored "NEW" machines. Chances are they will be the same price but will be a little faster. That would be the best option. It would really suck to buy a new G5 and not even get to really use it until the software came out and then when it does they also release faster machines for the same price! WOW that would light my fire!

Have you posed the question to Apple? It would be interesting to hear what they have to say. Can't sell you the new but won't sell you the old. That's a bad deal all around.

Good luck on it!
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #3
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mays Landing, NJ
Posts: 11,465
Oh I'm sure you can still buy a copy of the production suite through plenty of vendors. MacMall lists it in stock Of course you would have to then pay $500 in June if you want to upgrade to the new version.

But if you need it now, you need it now. I was in a similar situation, but about a month farther out. I bought FCP HD 4.5 because I figured whatever Apple would introduce at NAB wouldn't ship for awhile and I was starting a big project. I don't regret that decision at all. In fact, I imagine FCP 4.5 will meet my needs for awhile since I'm not using HDV or anything.

I do agree with Rhett about the hardware. Try to wait a few weeks. You might get a little faster machine for the same price, and you might also see a discount or rebate on the old models. Here's a link to the latest rumors on the new models

OTOH, if you need the computer now then just buy it. It appears that there won't be anything substantially better for awhile.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:35 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2015 The Digital Video Information Network