Using FCP for a weekly TV show at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 27th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #1
New Boot

Using FCP for a weekly TV show

I'm an avid FCP/Mac user, but I'm headed to a job interview on Friday (4.29) with a company that thinks they can cut a weekly TV show using 5 Adobe Premier/Windows machines.

They are considering the switch to FCP or Avid Symphony, but want to stick with Premier. Obviously I think this is a really, really BAD idea, but need some hard evidence to support my claim. Without bashing Avid/Premier, can you all help me build a case on why they should use FCP? Here's what I have down so far:

- After traveling to LA recently and visiting several film schools (including UCLA, USC), I noticed NONE of the schools used Premier and gave me very strange looks when I asked them if they or anyone they knew in the industry used Premier. Point: The schools training the next generation of filmmakers aren't using Premier.

- After talking with the local Comcast creative office, I noticed they used FCP as well. Premier was not even brought up. I know Comcast's Dallas office uses Avid, but still no mention of Premier. Point: The big time industry guys aren't using Premier either.

- Avid's Symphony adds on much more hardware as USC used the system and each editing bay was 1 G5 + 2 avid add-on boxes. Point: More $$ and more stuff to break.

- Apple's G5 64 bit OS will provide them with plenty of computing power when matched up with an Xsan & Xgrid network. I intend to mention Tiger and how it and the new production suite is optimized for the 64-bit G5. Point: Power to get the job done when time is very crucial.

That's all I have for now, but please share your thoughts/experiences/facts to help me build my case! Remember, bashing other systems won't help me, I need facts.
Mark Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #2
Major Player

"24" is cut on FCP and it's a successful weekly TV show. Actually there are a ton of TV programs cut on FCP, and now that it has multi-cam support built in I would expect it to gain even more momentum. Can you imagine the editors of "24" sitting around on their Powerbooks cutting the program? They do! That's a lot cheaper than even one Symphony Suite.

need some samples check out

http://www.apple.com/pro/archive/ind...l#profilmvideo
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #3
Inner Circle

95% of all features are cut on Aivd. More than 90% of Tv shows too.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Callahan
I'm an avid FCP/Mac user, but I'm headed to a job interview on Friday (4.29) with a company that thinks they can cut a weekly TV show using 5 Adobe Premier/Windows machines.
Sorry if I've mistaken you here, but you are interviewing for a job, meaning you don't have the job yet and you want to present to the company you wish to gain employment through, an argument as to why they should drop their plans to use Adobe Premier and go with something else?

Either you are already assured the position or you have huge balls.
John Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #5
Major Player

John is correct. Get the job first, then when they ask your advice, you can present to them a well laid out proposal for switching platforms.
Old April 28th, 2005, 07:41 PM   #6
New Boot

I think you all have good advice, but would you take a job that required you cut a weekly TV show on Premier? It seems like a massive disaster waiting to happen, and i'd be right in the middle of it all...
Mark Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #7
New Boot

Final Cut is everywhere these days but Premiere is a very capable program. I think you would be better off building a case as to why they should hire you.
Brook Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook Young
Final Cut is everywhere these days but Premiere is a very capable program. I think you would be better off building a case as to why they should hire you.
Agreed! I use Premiere Pro for local TV shows every single day. Works great!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite