Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 29th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

FYI, QuickTime 7

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...844#post306844

heath
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #2
Trustee

What the heck! My "Quicktime Pro" has been blown away! Anyone else have their "Pro" staus killed by upgrading??
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #3
Wrangler

I'll bet you will have to re-register for QT 7 Pro. Or at least that was the case when I installed QT 6, it wouldn't accept my QT 5 pro registration. I imagine that FCP 5 will include QT 7 pro, but that won't help much for now...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Upgraders beware! You will need a new key for QT Pro! Always read ALL documentation before upgrading
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #5
Trustee

Wait, if we upgrade to Final Cut Pro Studio - I believe it's going to be included?? If so, we can all hang loose for another couple of weeks..

EDIT:

Confirmation from Apple's site:

"What applications are included in Final Cut Studio?
Final Cut Studio includes Final Cut Pro 5, Soundtrack Pro, Motion 2 and DVD Studio Pro 4. You’ll also get several applications designed to round out the production workflow: Compressor 2, Cinema Tools 3, Apple Qmaster 2, LiveType 2 and QuickTime Pro 7. In addition, Final Cut Studio includes professionally designed templates, audio loops and other content that will help you in the creative process."

So, we wait I guess. But, at least we can view the new HD codec...and let me tell you from what I've just seen on Apple's site it's AWESOME! The quality of the video is AMAZING and I've got the videos full screen and playing in about 3-5 seconds!!!!!! Yes, I have broadband..
Old April 29th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #6
Wrangler

For that matter, if you're dying to use QT 7 pro then it only costs $30 for the upgrade, which isn't that big a deal...
Old April 29th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

I only upgraded my iBook, so it doesn't matter--I don't have Pro on there. I'm going to call Apple Tech and see what's up, because I won't upgrade my Power Mac until then.

heath
Old April 29th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #8
Trustee

Boyd, $30 is a lot of money in my world. It's included in the new FCS (Final Cut Studio), so that's good.

I'm a penny pincher for sure - if I wasn't then I wouldn't have the gear or house I own. I know it's "only" $30, but that $30 is a lot when you work for yourself...it has to come out of some other aspect of my budget.

Let's not forget the major increases in cost this year across the board. The entire US is having a major energy increase. I just got my electric bill and it's $50 higher than last years same month bill and I'm using less electricty right now! Also, gas is way more expensive...it goes on and on. I'm not complaining so much as just pointing out that $30 is a lot when you look a the larger picture of having to pay $700 for the FCS upgrade. It's included, so my major gripe when I posted my original comment is retracted.

So, I'm just saying that $30 for Quicktime Pro is a lot when you start looking at the over operating expenses for a small video boutique. I'm not a large corporation...just me doing freelance work alone.

That's just me though - I'm sure other people on here have operating expenses worked out so $30 is nothing. I just don't have the luxury because of my particular situation. (own a home that has my studio next door)
Old April 29th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Murph,

If you can wait, wait, that's good advice.

heath
Old April 29th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #10
Wrangler

If you don't want to spend $30, then don't. In the grand scheme of things $30 just isn't a lot these days, especially if it's a tool that you need and you place any value on your time then it should be easy to justify. But everyone has to make these value judgements for themselves. Personally I'll save $30 because I don't see any immediate need for QT 7. I'll also save a lot more by not upgrading to FCP 5 or Tiger for awhile since I don't really need them either...
Old April 29th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

This is true, it's what you need. I am going to the Apple store to try and score a free t-shirt, but I need to re-new my businesses, so I'm using my money for that.

heath
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #12
Trustee

Boyd, I absolutely do need QT Pro 7. But, having already budgeted for the $700 to get FCS I wasn't expecting another $30 for something that was already included in the FCP HD suite. (QT Pro 6 was included with it)

I'm not complaining Boyd - it's more of a budget breakdown for what it's costing to upgrade into Apple's latest suite. The $700 for FCS allows for HDV editing natively using QT Pro 7 - that's what I need and want. Not to mention the exporting aspect of QT Pro 7 - that's the key for just about everyone on this thread and anyone using any HD format. This new QT Pro 7 is the ultimate codec and software for getting everything done. HD-DVD's, highest quality web videos etc. etc. It's worth $30 alone...I know that.

I really don't have a point to make, so I think I'll shut up now. I'm always getting myself into this crap because I type what I'm thinking. This hasn't really been off-topic, but a pricing discussion regarding QT Pro 7 doesn't have any value to anyone.

It is what it is....I do believe Apple's worth the money because they produce the best video software I've ever used. (IMHO)
Old April 30th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #13
Major Player

Last I checked, the "Pro" thing only affects what QT Player can do. The codecs are still installed and other applications can start using H.264 all they want. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong... And oh yeah, keep a copy of QT Player 6 and you should be able to keep all of your version 6 capabilities...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #14
New Boot

i dont understand whats so neat about pro.. i mean...what do you get?
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #15
MPS Digital Studios

All sorts of great things, illustrated here:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite