Occasional Luminance Peak vs. Dim Picture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 30th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #1
New Boot

Occasional Luminance Peak vs. Dim Picture

I am outputting my short project to DVD for film festival submission. How important is it for every frame to stay at or below the 100% luminance level? There are a few peaks (sunburst on dark helmet, flashing headlights during day) that look fine on a monitor. Certainly better than tapping down the whites level in the Color Corrector 3-way until the Excess Luma checkmark appears, which dims down the shot so it won't match the others.

I certainly don't expect that this will ever be broadcast under the FCC's purview.

Are there any other tricks? Thanks!

Carl Russo
Carl Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If the film is being projected (i.e. digital projector), then it should be ok to exceed the luminance limit.

For broadcast, you should have the picture at the brightness you want and then apply the broadcast colors filter at the extremely conservative setting.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite