DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Final Cut Academic License? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/441490-final-cut-academic-license.html)

Jonathan Betz September 26th, 2009 07:52 AM

Final Cut Academic License?

I have been searching for info on the Final Cut Academic license without much luck (or at least without answers I'm confident in).

I just graduated and one of my past-professors offered me an academic version of Final Cut Stutio. Can I legally accept this version and use it to edit things like my showreel, which will not ever be sold?

I assume you cannot use the academic version for commercial work, but what is the legal definition of commercial work? Does it simply mean I could not sell my videos? So could I use it to produce things like free programs for local organizations and examples of my work like a showreel?

Thanks for the help!

Boyd Ostroff September 26th, 2009 12:56 PM

Hi Jonathan,

I think you will find your answers here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-line...3-another.html

Actually there is no restriction about what you can use the Academic version for. The restriction is that you must be a currently enrolled student or employee at an academic institution. So if you have already graduated....

Quote:

Academic Copies: If the Apple Software package has an academic label or if you acquired the Apple Software at an academic discount, you must be an Eligible Educational End User to use the Apple Software. "Eligible Educational End Users" means students, faculty, staff and administration attending and/or working at an educational institutional facility (i.e., college campus, public or private K-12 schools).
If you look at Apple's new academic pricing however, it's not much of a bargain. Saves a few bucks up front, but you will be way behind when you decide to upgrade later.

Jonathan Betz September 26th, 2009 03:25 PM

Thanks for the help Boyd. I guess this may be a bit of a gray area, but I am not purchasing the version of Final Cut I would be receiving it as a gift from a professor who did purchase it while working for the college. Do you think this would be allowed?

Is the limitation that you are supposed to throw Final Cut Academic away when you graduate?

Mike Barber September 26th, 2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Betz (Post 1401941)
I am not purchasing the version of Final Cut I would be receiving it as a gift from a professor who did purchase it while working for the college.

Academic licenses are non-transferable, IIRC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Betz (Post 1401941)
Is the limitation that you are supposed to throw Final Cut Academic away when you graduate?

I don't think that is within the spirit of the Academic license.

But you're talking about receiving an Academic license after leaving the school. As the section Boyd quoted states, "If the Apple Software package has an academic label ... you must be an Eligible Educational End User to use the Apple Software." So if you are no longer a student or "faculty, staff and administration attending and/or working at an educational institutional facility (i.e., college campus, public or private K-12 schools)" then you are not eligible to use the license per Apple's EUA.

Is he offering you a new (unused) Academic license or a copy of the one they are using at the school? If it is the later, then the entire question is moot anyway.

Jonathan Betz September 26th, 2009 04:56 PM

That's what I expected. He's trying to send me a copy of Final Cut because I started working on a project for him while I was a student and now that I've graduated he has had trouble finding someone to finish the job. So he thought he would just send me one of his versions of Final Cut (he has two copies but only uses one). I guess I can't really accept it.

Matt Newcomb September 27th, 2009 05:28 PM

Just tell him you'll need the full license instead, a big wing for you if he does :)

Greg Quinn September 27th, 2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1401485)
If you look at Apple's new academic pricing however, it's not much of a bargain. Saves a few bucks up front, but you will be way behind when you decide to upgrade later.

Apple provides a fairly wide latitude of how much academic locations can set the final price for some of their products. For example, UCSD is selling Final Cut Studio 3 for $299, UCSD Bookstore: Software - Apple

Nigel Barker September 28th, 2009 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Quinn (Post 1407472)
Apple provides a fairly wide latitude of how much academic locations can set the final price for some of their products. For example, UCSD is selling Final Cut Studio 3 for $299, UCSD Bookstore: Software - Apple

That site also quite clearly states who is eligible to purchase (& presumably use) products with an academic license:-

All academically priced products are for sale to current students, staff and faculty of UCSD only