DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 7th, 2005, 04:47 AM   #1
New Boot

mac mini: outputting to monitor and TV simultaneously

i'm putting together a small edit studio around the mac mini, and i'd like to output to a LCD monitor for editing and a TV to preview my work. i'd like to do this without rewiring stuff every time i want to preview. Is there an inexpensive way of getting video out of the firewire port to the TV? if this is possible, could i do this through a dv camcorder? if so, then which one?
Jon Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #2
Wrangler

There are a variety of ways to do this.

1. You could buy a firewire converter box like this: http://www.canopus.us/US/products/AD...pt_advc110.asp

2. You could use any camcorder that supports "DV IN" firewire - most of them do.

3. You could use a standalone DVD recorder with firewire input.

4. You could use a DV player like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=212935&is=REG

Option number 4 would involve the least plugging and unplugging because you could also use it to capture your tapes, but it isn't cheap. Option 2 may be the best way to go if you're on a budget; just leave your camcorder plugged into the firewire port while you're editing.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #3
New Boot

i have an xl1 but as i understand it it won't pass through the image directly from DV -> video without recording. should i just buy a cheapie consuper camcorder? are there ones i should stay away from?
Old May 7th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

A lot of camcorders can convert either from analog --> DV or DV --> analog. Also known as "DV --> A/V". They cannot do both at once, so you have to put it on the right setting/direction.

Dig around the menus or read your manual. I'm pretty sure the XL1 can handle this.

I don't think you ever have to record to mini-DV with the XL1... although I might be wrong.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

I have the XL-1 (no s). I can connect it to the computer via firewire and a TV via S-Vid or RCA. I can select external monitor or do a PTT and the image will go straight to the TV (or I could have it connected to a VCR and record the signal) WITHOUT a tape in the camera and without recording. Pass-thru works just fine.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 04:05 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
I can select external monitor or do a PTT and the image will go straight to the TV
how do you do this? i can't find it in the VCR menu of the XL1.
Old May 8th, 2005, 05:23 AM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

The original XL-1 did not have a menu option for this. You just connect it to the computer via firewire, connect it to the monitor via RCA or S-Video, put it in VCR mode, and tell the computer to either external preview or Print To Tape.

The original XL-1 will NOT go the other direction, though. It will not accept analog input and send that to the computer.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Also, have your XL-1 hooked up and powered on in VCR mode before firing up Final Cut. I've had situations where if I'm editing & then hook up the camera, I can't preview on the monitor.
John Snoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:14 AM   #9
New Boot

hey thanks guys! it works beautifully now!
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Snoddy
Also, have your XL-1 hooked up and powered on in VCR mode before firing up Final Cut. I've had situations where if I'm editing & then hook up the camera, I can't preview on the monitor.
John,

In this case go to File>View>Refresh A/V Devices.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite