Vector images from Illustrator into Motion 2. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 28th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Vector images from Illustrator into Motion 2.

Hi all - not sure if anyone here is ever tried this:
I'm attempting to import a layered image into Motion 2 from Illustrator (CS3) - importing as an AI file - tips via the following link

Apple - Pro - Techniques - Import Photoshop and Illustrator Files Into Motion

Not having AE at hand at the moment. I'm instead using Motion for a test run animation...but I'm fast getting the impression this isn't going to work. The AI file I've imported has none of the original layers and has seemingly been flattened on import. On the other hand, importing them as PSD files worked much better but then the images have been rasterized - I've tried unchecking the Fixed Resolution option in the Media tab in Motion, but the vector images are pixellated on the slightest of 'zoom in'. It's all a bit of a mess to be fair. I've search engined this almost to death to little avail. Anybody here successfully manage to import a layered file from Illustrator into Motion?

Apologies if I've missed anything out - I'm working with the graphics guy on this as it's not really my 'arena'.

Cheers.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Motion 3 (not sure if it's the same in 2) allows you to import vector PDFs. Not sure if the layers come in intact. Try it and find out.
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Motion 3 (not sure if it's the same in 2) allows you to import vector PDFs. Not sure if the layers come in intact. Try it and find out.
I did manage to import a layered PSD (with the save as PDF option checked on export from Illustrator) but the layers were rasterized (and despite unchecking the fixed resolution tab)...the colours were also off and one or two layers were in fact missing...I think I'll resign myself to the fact Motion (at least Motion 2) doesn't get on well with such files, sadly.

Cheers.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Vector PDF files come in as Vector so there is an advantage there. I believe you need to "check" a check box to ensure accurate vector scaling though. You can find the check box in the Inspector when the PFD is selected. It MAY be in one of the Tabs.

EDIT: Just reread your last post. Sadly, the only time I've ever done what I suggest was with tutorial media from the Apple Training booklet and DVD so I can't help you further. Sorry.
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Vector PDF files come in as Vector so there is an advantage there. I believe you need to "check" a check box to ensure accurate vector scaling though. You can find the check box in the Inspector when the PFD is selected. It MAY be in one of the Tabs.

EDIT: Just reread your last post. Sadly, the only time I've ever done what I suggest was with tutorial media from the Apple Training booklet and DVD so I can't help you further. Sorry.
No problem Shaun - thanks for responding.
Cheers.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite