15" PowerBook owners: please read - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:15 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Thanks, Boyd, but I tried that and no luck. I'm going to call Apple tomorrow regarding this.
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #32
Wrangler

Another update. Apple has put the long 350 post thread related to this problem back on their website, although it is now locked. Regardless, I'm glad to see they did the right thing since that thread has a lot of useful information in it:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...Sv.4@.68ab7b77

(edit) Looks like only part of the thread is viewable now actually, but still it's better than nothing...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:44 AM   #33
Wrangler

Here's another update. My powerbook is still working more than a month after its 3rd repair (hoping this doesn't jinx me ;-)

The memory slot problem has also earned its own entry into the Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBo...y_Slot_failure

Meanwhile, more reports of failures continue to surface. Here are a few current threads on Apple's support website:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...ze.0@.68af093a
http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...O6.0@.68b65548
http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...0793@.68b423c6
http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...t6.0@.68b49c3f
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #34
New Boot

I am a bit concerned and wary now. I have the latest rev powerbook 1.67ghz, and I've only had it for a few months....
Bin Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #35
New Boot

quoted from the wiki:

Quote:
Some users of recent Aluminum PowerBook models are reporting a design flaw resulting in the failure of their PowerBook's lower memory slot. The typical resolution is replacement of the logic board, similar to iBook failures. A petition was started in early June 2005 and as of May 2006 has collected 1,582 signatures. Presently, Apple has started a Repair Extension Program for PowerBooks affected by the issue, for up to 2 years from the original date of purchase, even if the computer is out of warranty. However this repair program does not include the G4 PowerBook 1.25 Ghz model, which are affected by the same problem. It also does not cover the G4 Powerbook 1.5 Ghz model if its serial number does not fall into the range of serial numbers that Apple has approved for repairs. This model also exhibits the exact same problems as the identified models. So far Apple refuses to acknowledge the problem with this model, just as they previously did with the now covered models.
Bin Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #36
Machinist Mate

I have sent both my TiBook and then my AluBook back to Apple for a variety of reasons. I can tell you that it is quick! They send a special box via DHL, complete with a pre-addressed label, and DHL picks up your computer in this box. It is back within 3 days.

The only pitfall is, when they recommend you back up your hard drive, you better pay attention! I received my machine back with the hard drive reformatted (or replaced, I don't know) and I had to re-install everything (pain in the arse).

I definitely recommend you purchase the applecare plan before the standard warranty runs out; the first time it needs fixing after the warranty will be well worth the money. Oh yeah, and if you sell the machine with time left on the applecare plan, you are selling a machine with a free warranty, because it transfers to the new owner...kind of nice if the person is nervous about buying a used computer.
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #37
Wrangler

Yep, I agree. I almost never buy extended warranties but I make an exception for laptop computers.

BTW, just to update this old thread, my 15" 1Ghz G4 Powerbook has been working fine ever since its last repair. It meets my needs fine for the time being, since I just use it in the office for things like FileMaker, Excel, Word and VectorWorks. But if I ever need to do anything with HDV or 3d modeling while away from my G5 then it would be time to put it out to pasture and get a new MacBook Pro :-)
Old August 1st, 2006, 05:19 AM   #38
Regular Crew

this happened to me 4 times. 4 TIMES!!!!!!!

It also killed 3 ipods conected over firewire.
next time, there giving me an upgrade to a MacBookpro.

but ti really sucks that i have to keep going into the store. i'm a procare member so they fix it over night if they have the part, but still. it pisses me off.
Charles Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM   #39
Wrangler

FWIW, when I took mine in the 3rd time they said that if it wasn't fixed after 3 tries they would be willing to discuss giving me a replacement. Third time was the charm for me though. In retrospect, I'm wondering if this problem is related to the type of RAM used? I had 1GB chip in one slot and a 512MB in the other. Last time I got it back I put the original 256MB chip in place of the 512 and everything has been fine since then. So that makes me wonder if there's something about that 512 which aggravates the problem? It's annoying that I've got a 512MB chip I can't use, but less annoying than taking the computer in for service.

Whatever, this laptop is probably entering its final year for me anyway. My AppleCare is all used up now, so I'll be looking at a replacement the next time something goes wrong....
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #40
Machinist Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
...In retrospect, I'm wondering if this problem is related to the type of RAM used? I had 1GB chip in one slot and a 512MB in the other. Last time I got it back I put the original 256MB chip in place of the 512 and everything has been fine since then. So that makes me wonder if there's something about that 512 which aggravates the problem? It's annoying that I've got a 512MB chip I can't use, but less annoying than taking the computer in for service.....
Well, Boyd, if you sell the 512 chip on eBay, you'll be done with it, and that money can be used toward another 1 gig chip (if it's worth it for just 1 year).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite