XDCAM footage in FCP and subclips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 6th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM footage in FCP and subclips

Okay guys I'm sorry if this has been hashed over before, but I'm having a dickens of a time.

here's the thing...

Captured an interview on my Sony EX3. The beginning of the video was of one of my SxS cards which automatically flipped over to the 2nd SxS card to continue recording. No problems so far.

No I transfer the two section into FCP creating 2 separate clips. I want to now make subclips of the interview, but how do I make a subclip that spans to separate clips?

I tried putting both clips into a sequence, but you can't make a subclip from a sequence?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Micheal
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Michael

Is simply creating 2 subclips not an acceptable option ... it would seem to be easiest.

>I tried putting both clips into a sequence, but you can't make a subclip from a sequence?

What version of FCP are you using? I can create a sequence subclip here on FCP7 (just mark the In and Out in the sequence and press Cmd U)

Best
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm not sure of your problem but It may be how you imported the clips. Did you import both cards at the same time so that the clips were joined to make one clip. This is done through XDCAM transfer. Fo example transfer files from cards (Card 1 card 2) to a folder (Cards) on a HD - Then import via XDCAM transfer. They should then combine into 1 clip.
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Trustee

I agree with Neil. Use XDCAM Transfer or XDCAM EX Clip Browser to transfer your footage from the SxS card to your hard drive, and the software will automatically join the clips together.

But in the mean time, you can drag your Sequence from the Canvas to the Browser window, set an in/out point, type Command-U on the keyboard and you'll have then created a sub-clip from a Sequence. I did this quite a bit recently on a long format project.
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

hey guys thanks for the replies

yep i wasn't using xdcam clip browser right... i've gone back and re-imported to separate spanned clips now into one clip and it works fine

now I wish there was a way to connect separate clips from the same interview (created when i hit the START/STOP button) into one clip that I can import :)

cheers

micheal
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Trustee

Hmmm.....dunno. Can't help you with that one...sorry.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite