Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 7th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can you mix formats in timeline?

Hi There,

I'm new to FCP, but I wanted to try my new project on this editor. I want to throw in footage from my Canon Mark II (ProRes) and HDV 60i footage into one timeline. Is that possible, and could I be running myself into any problems during output?

Usually in Avid which I normally edit with, I have to transcode everything to DNxHD to output smoothly. Can FCP export the HDV 60i footage without needing to transcode to ProRes like the Mark II footage? I will be outputting the footage to mpeg4/h264 codec.

Just wanted to look into this situation before I begin, all help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

There is a forum category dedicated specifically to working with the 5D MkII footage; if you check out that category you'll find all the information you need from other shooters/editors who use it on a daily basis and get all the workflow information you can possibly need.
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Wrangler

I mix ProRes and HDV footage all time in ProRes sequences. For me it's a very solid workflow.
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Inner Circle

As long as you are editing on a ProRes timeline everything should work fine and in real-time with some rendering before final output. The main issue is image dimension. If the two files have a different image dimension (example: 1440x720 vs 1920x1080) pick the size that the majority of the footage will use. If you use the smaller size, the larger footage will be automatically reduced by FCP, however small dimension footage will have to be manually zoomed in on a larger size timeline which may not look so good.
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thank you everyone for your responses. i will give it a go mixing the formats. i'll be sure to run a prores timeline as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite