DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Incorporating still photos into FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/465278-incorporating-still-photos-into-fcp.html)

Kevin Ta October 7th, 2009 06:31 PM

Incorporating still photos into FCP

I've encountered some issues after importing still photos into FCP where it would get cut off into a 4:3 box, but my sequence is supposed to be 16:9.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some pointers on incorporating still photos into a FCP sequence? My sequence is primarily HDV 60i & ProRes footage. My new project requires that I incorporate some photos into the sequence.

I do not have photoshop, but I do have aperature. I've heard that many people have to use outside programs like photoshop or aperature and do some magic with the photos before they get it into FCP. Does anyone have some of these experience and tips for working with this issue so I can streamline a workflow for still photos & 16x9 footage? Thanks!

Mike Petrucco October 8th, 2009 12:13 AM

Your photos are probably not coming in as 4:3, but rather whatever aspect ratio they are in the original files. There are two things to address in your questions.

1. You need to use the motion tab to adjust the scale of the picture. You will lose some of the image in the vertical direction as it will be cropped of when you scale it up to fill the width of your 16:9 canvas. You can do this in the motion tab, or else from the canvas using the image wireframe handles. You can keyframe the image scale and center point to zoom and pan on the image to bring a little life and depth. Many call this the Ken Burns effect, as it is often done in documentaries.

2. The reason people need to do image adjustments outside of FCP, is often to reduce the resolution of high-resolution files. Final Cut does not like images that are much bigger than 1280x1920. I do not have a good photo edit program, so I use iPhoto and export my images only as large as I need them in my FCP timeline. This might take two passes in FCP so that you can plan the image sizes you need. I have found that I can keep performance with stills up to the maximum if I only import images up to the max size I need to get the job done. Any extra resolution over the size of the canvas does not give you better image quality.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Kevin Ta October 8th, 2009 01:52 PM

Thanks Mike.

I've come upon this great program that sends photos in Aperture directly to FCP, it iwll create sequences, or transitions, as well as the stills themselves.

Apple - Downloads - Aperture - Aperture to Final Cut Pro

Sam Young October 12th, 2009 07:01 PM

Wow, THANK YOU for the link!! I didn't know such goodness existed besides sliced bread! Thanks again for the link to a wonderful free program! :)