DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

hdv to dvd, interlaced or de-interlace

I'm using FCP 6.0.5, Compressor 3, editing 1080i HDV captured as prores and exported to Quicktime movie as prores. Then, to compressor using default High Quality 90 min DVD settings, then to DVDSP. The DVD looks bad and with a ton of interlacing lines. Where am I going wrong and how do I get the interlacing issues solved?
Gerald Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You could try setting the field dominance to none in your sequence settings. The usual default is 'upper odd' for HD.

After opening your sequence go to Sequence/settings then click field dominance, click none then OK. You will need to render out your time line and export the self contained movie ready for compressor. it works successfully for me when I'm downscaling from HD to DVD.
When you set it to none for field dominance, in theory FCP acts as though it's a progressive video and not interlace, so whatever the theory is, it works and gets rid of the jagged lines.

another thing you could try when in compressor, is to use frame controls, this usually helps.
Anthony J. Howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Trustee

Yeah, frame controls (set to deinterlace) really help the quality, but it also increases the length of time it takes to compress.
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I noticed the default for Compressor's DVD setting was already set to deinterlace in frame controls. And thats when I got the lines. I tried setting the frame controls off, but it would say "failed".

I ran into Ken Stone's tutorial to export HDV to Quicktime Conversion, left the deinterlace un-checked, and it worked great. Even the jagged text was sharper.
I also read threads saying not to use "quicktime conversion", but only quicktime - but so far this was the best method.

I will also try setting the field dominance to none as Anthony suggested.

Thanks for the replies all.
Gerald Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Here is another method that someone blindly says it works great, but not tried this myself.

It's named the The Bonsai Method
Step-by-Step
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Labrador View Post
I noticed the default for Compressor's DVD setting was already set to deinterlace in frame controls. And thats when I got the lines. I tried setting the frame controls off, but it would say "failed".

I ran into Ken Stone's tutorial to export HDV to Quicktime Conversion, left the deinterlace un-checked, and it worked great. Even the jagged text was sharper.
I also read threads saying not to use "quicktime conversion", but only quicktime - but so far this was the best method.

I will also try setting the field dominance to none as Anthony suggested.

Thanks for the replies all.
I am having similar problem with subtle lines, can you share what method you used? Did you solve your problem and how?

Thank you.

Pavel
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Major Player

I use compressor to do this via Frame controls - make sure that the output field is set to Progressive or it does nothing! And use the best setting for deinterlace. It takes forever though to process (I mean many hours).

Mind you no matter what method you use it is never perfect leaving some interlacing artifacts and will compromise the image quality a bit (softens it).

Also recently I've noticed that certain DVD players do a very good job of dealing with interlaced footage (no artifacts and very sharp image) making it pointless doing it. It's a lottery though as some don't. If you print back to tape and view it from that medium deinterlacing is also unnecessary.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Pavel, if you have FCP 7. Or anyone else who uses FCP 7 (Version 7 seems to have a continued issue when downscaling from HD for DVD production with jagged edges).
Apple suggested to me after discussions about the jagged lines issue. They suggested as a work around, to set the settings in FCP to 'None' field dominance. And when ready to export, go to file/share. A dialog box appears, you have a selection of various devices, such as Apple TV, DVD, iPod, iPhone, mobileme and youtube. Select DVD and then choose your filename and your destination location, then in the bottom left of dialog box click on 'send to compressor'.
Or if you so desire click on Export, this will simply create a m2v file for DVD production.
If you click on 'send to compressor', compressor opens, just simply accept the default settings and click 'submit'.

I have tried this a few times now and jagged edges have almost practically disappeared.
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Anthony and Geoffrey

Thanks for your input, I was shocked to see the crazy lines. When I did a test with Upper field in FCP and interlaced in Compressor the output was unusable. This is a big issue in my view.

Definitely I went with field dominance set to None in FCP and Progressive scan in Compressor.

Tip for Compressor : MPEG2 down conversion will soften your image. I used Sharpen edges in the Filter Pane and experimented with the settings (the setting will vary depending on your source footage) and it did improve the overall image. Also the latest update apparently fixes some issues with downscaling when using frame controls according to Apple.

I am quite happy with the pictures now on computer screen. Did you see your "progressive" work on television yet?

Thanks you.

Regards,
Pavel

Last edited by Pavel Tomanec; December 15th, 2009 at 05:42 AM.
Pavel Tomanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #10
Trustee

Dont forget that you may need to change fields if going to SD DVD as SD is lower field or if you edit in a SD Seq the HD footage with need to have a shift fields filter on the footage.

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Simon, excuse my ignorance but can't a SD DVD stay Progressive if the source footage was progressive (25f)?

Thanks.

Last edited by Pavel Tomanec; December 15th, 2009 at 04:01 PM.
Pavel Tomanec is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite