DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Cannot modify hard drive?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/465557-cannot-modify-hard-drive.html)

Terry Lee October 12th, 2009 10:28 AM

Cannot modify hard drive??

Alright so I took some footage from my HV30 and imported it into final cut express, cut sections out and saved it to export to my Western Digital WDH1Q10000N MyBook Studio 1TB External Hard Drive but it keeps saying that "this hard drive cannot be modified." I suspect that the problem is that I formated it for my PC at home and am trying to export files from a MAC...However.. The Tigerdirect website states that
Quote:

Windows® 2000/XP/Vista Note: This drive is formatted and the pre-loaded software is designed for a Macintosh operating system. Driver and utilities for Windows users is available for download at the manufacturer's website"
I'm not really sure as to what is going on here..

Thanks,
Terry.

William Hohauser October 12th, 2009 11:38 AM

You guessed correctly. If you formatted it with your PC, it's now a read only drive on your Mac.

Terry Lee October 12th, 2009 07:58 PM

Is there anything I can do to get it to work with both?

or maybe just be able to get the files off of the MAC computer and onto my hard drive?

Mitchell Lewis October 12th, 2009 09:10 PM

Mediafour | MacDrive

Terry Lee October 13th, 2009 07:44 PM

Alright awesome..that seams to do exactly what I am looking for..although its $50..

Ryan Hansen October 15th, 2009 01:18 AM

If its not too late there is a free on, its called something like NTFS-3G

Wait, Here we go NTFS-3G: Stable Read/Write NTFS Driver

Jiri Fiala October 15th, 2009 11:20 AM

Yes, NTFS-3G works, but it's really slow (in fact, it is a kind of network driver) and super CPU-intensive. On a Mac side of things, you will do a lot better with Paragon NTFS Driver. That one, albeit paid, is close in speed to a native driver.

Ryan Hansen October 15th, 2009 12:58 PM

I maybe should have mentioned that - I tried NTFS-3G and had issues like it wouldn't work and as you mentioned CPU drainer, so i paid $$ and got Paragon - which is pretty good, and comes with a windows file browser for HFS+ (Mac formatted drives) - which is a bit slow and buggy but better than nothing

Christopher Kondys October 15th, 2009 03:01 PM

I'm just wondering, do you need to use your hard-drive on a PC? If not, I would suggest backing everything up on a PC then reformatting it on a Mac.

When reformatting, you can either choose to keep it purely Mac based, and find a friends hard-drive that works on both systems to get your files back or format your hard-drive to work on both systems and get the files yourself.

It might be a little bit of a hassle depending on how much you have stored on it currently, but at least its free.

Chris

Ryan Hansen October 15th, 2009 04:09 PM

I've got both HFS+ and NTFS drives in my mac because of the windows stuff i do, one thing I've found is FCP and other apps still don't like NTFS even with drives - I had issues with burning dvds in DVDSP when the files are on a NTFS partition, so for and footage I recommend using a HFS+ formatted drive....

Terry Lee October 17th, 2009 09:40 PM

Well I have a bunch of video that I have rendered to iMovie (or FCE) and I was going to put the raw footage along with the final product on my external hard drive but I formated the thing to a PC and the MAC that I rendered the footage to will recognize my hard drive but won't let me "modify" it.

If I install the NTFS-3G to my hard drive, that will allow me to put that footage on the hard drive and then be able to hook it up to my PC and just copy it right to that hard drive?

Thanks for the help :)

Jiri Fiala October 18th, 2009 02:02 AM

Yes Terry, NTFS-3G is an emulation layer for Unix/Linux systems like OSX to provide write compatibility for NTFS-formatted drives. Windows machine will detect the drive as a normal drive, there's no extra hassle on the Windows side.

The same goes for Paragon NTFS, but that is a more low-level tool with extra speed (but it may be more prone to crashes and data damage).

Terry Lee October 18th, 2009 07:46 PM

So I downloaded it (I think) and unzipped it into my documents folder but its just a single file by itself..

Need to do something else that i'm not seeing?