DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 14th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Snow Leopard problems for FCE

I upgraded when it came out and have been have trouble ever since. I did not do the clean install, which would more than likely fix the problem but I don't want to resort to that just yet because I've got a few programs which I don't have the install disks anymore, and I've also got a big project in the works (feature film) and I don't want to risk losing anything... I know, I shouldn't have even upgraded in the middle of such a big project.

The problem is that FCE freezes up ALOT. It makes it very difficult to get a decent editing session going. It does the thing where the audio keeps going but the video freezes, and I can't stop it til it stops on its own. When I try to stop it I just get the color wheel. Sometimes it helps to restart FCE, or restart the computer but sometimes it doesn't.

I reinstalled Snow Leopard 3 days ago and it first it seemed to take care of the problem but now its at it again. I've got a brother with an identical computer (editing the same feature with me) who also upgraded from the same disc (family package) and he hasn't had a single problem.

I've talked to Apple and they recommend reinstalling FCE, then doing the clean install as a last resort. Is there anything else I can try first before going to the extreme measures? Maybe adjust my render or playback settings?

Scott
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Run, don't walk, and get this great freeware utility, AppFresh:

metaquark AppFresh

Install and run it. Make sure you have a good backup first. After AppFresh scans the system for potentially upgradeable apps, have it update everything it can try to find an update for. Then reboot and see if things are any better?

The underlying thought here is that it may spot upgrades for apps with kernel extensions or otherwise has Snow Leopard-related bugs at an older version, so ensuring your apps are at the latest available version goes a ways to eliminating potential culprits.

I've been using AppFresh for a few years now, and it saves a lot of time in digging for updates. Especially when you've got about 180 apps installed like I do. :)
Dan Foster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite