17" inch Unibody MBP Users: Cool info at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Go Go Godzilla

17" inch Unibody MBP Users: Cool info

If you're put-off by the battery in the new 17" inch MBP being "non-user replaceable", that's not exactly true.

IF you have the requisite skills/knowledge/bravery to tear apart your own machine here's the method for getting into and replacing your 17" incher battery:

MacBook Pro 17" Unibody Teardown - iFixit

The iFixit site has been making DIY tear-down/repair guides for years now. If you've ever opened up any Mac laptop since the G4 series you'll find the Unibody MBP's to be almost magically well put together inside. I've NEVER seen any laptop by any manufacturer be this easy to get into or seen the sub-components so logically placed and easily removed without great fuss.

Apple didn't just make the externals pretty they also went to great lengths to make the internals a dream for any technician or DIY repair-person to work on it.
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have a 17" Unibody and took out the dvd drive and replaced it with a 2nd hard drive using one of the various kits available.

It wasn't that hard and sites like ifixit offer step by step guides which make it much less stressful.

Replacing the battery look very easy to me in comparison ;-)
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Trustee

^^^^^^(very jealous of your setup John)^^^^^^^

Are you using a SSD as your main drive? If so I bet that thing is a rocket ship. :)
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I just upgraded to an SSD in my MBP and it is like it's an entirely new machine. I decided to do that instead of an upgrade to 8G. Much bigger impact on the system. I've been thinking about pitting a second hdd in my machine to make up for lack of space on the SSD. John, what components did you use and any regrets?
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite