Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Major Player

ProRes Proxy from ProRes Std?

Hi

I have already captured 3 hours of hdv footage to ProRes 422 Std on a separate firewire drive. Is there any way I can convert the std files to proxy files? (so I can store the proxy files on my MBP internal drive and go on the road)

I cant seem to find any tips on this.

many thanks

Last edited by Sherif Choudhry; November 2nd, 2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: update
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Sherif

You can use FCP's Media Manager tool to do this very easily.
Just select the bin of clips to transcode, then choose File menu > Media Manager
Then the Media popup to :Recompress and set the codec to the relevant Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy) setting that matches your sources
Finally, choose the Media Destination for the recompressed clips, and then press OK

Hope it helps
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks!

Thanks Andy, fantastic, and I guess when I want to render using the hi-res files i just need to hide the proxy folder and FCP will ask me to select and i can choose the right folder?

cheers
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherif Choudhry View Post
when I want to render using the hi-res files i just need to hide the proxy folder and FCP will ask me to select and i can choose the right folder
Basically, yes. You don't even need to "hide" the proxy folder. You can just select the clips and choose "Reconnect Media" and select the clips in the "hi-res" folder. As long as the file names are identical you should be fine.
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Major Player

So working in PR proxy which is sort of a low res version of standard, you can then apply those changes (edits, titles, transitions, etc.) to the standard PR when you are finished with a project?

Aren't you up-resing Pro Res?

If this is the case, why would anyone not edit first in proxy, and then transfer all changes to the HR PR when finished? My first guess is that there would be about a years worth of rendering involved.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Better than Halle Berry

You wouldn't bother because most of us just use an online version of ProRes and buy more hard drive space which is way cheaper and less time consuming than re-rendering, connecting, etc.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite