Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 13th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

iMovie for editing

hi,

I was just curious as to how iMove can hold up in a serious editing process.

I will be looking into making a film pretty soon and since all my money is going on camera etc.. I will have nothing left for Final Cut Pro or anything.. Since i already have iMove I was just wondering the disadvantages and advantages of this software.

Thanks
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Don't do it unless you really don't have any money for Final Cut Express. It's not a good experience for long projects.
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #3
New Boot

NLE suggestion

Hi Lee,
I used iMovie a while back for a short (3") promo video. Had several problems when adding simple fade in/outs. Called Apple... the tech said it really isn't made for heavy duty editing. I asked him what constitutes "heavy'... this was only a 3" video with a little text, a few fade in / outs and straight cuts. He really didn't have satisfying answer.

Final Cut Express is $199 and an excellent NLE. I use it frequently...it's FCP minus film related options that you won't need if shooting video only.

Also you can buy a 'slightly' older version of Adobe Premiere off Ebay or maybe even someone here might have a program they could sell you. iMovie is a wonderful piece of software but don't know that I would trust it for anything at a commercial level. FWIW, God Bless, Roze
Old November 13th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

In contrary to the other contributors I have succeeded in performing very nice edits in iMovie (09). Including disolves, fades, titling, even some more than basic audio editing (setting levels within clips, adding effects, voice over and music). I have done editing up to 15 minutes. Even color correction is possible (as is a smoothcam effect). Just look into the possibilities and you'd be surprised.

Of course I usually work in Final Cut, but it is damn well possible to make some professional looking video with the iMovie tool.
Mario Vermunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Lee,

What final output delivery format(s) are you targeting? Cinema viewing, TV, web, DVD?

Why do I ask? Because if it'll be viewed in a cinema, you'll likely need to edit with a particular aspect ratio, ensure the colours are 'safe', likely need 24 fps as the delivery output format, and so forth. iMovie doesn't support this stuff, and Final Cut Express (FCE) -- as great as it is -- doesn't support 24 fps work or EDLs. Final Cut Studio (which includes Final Cut Pro and other tools) or an equivalent edit tool such as Adobe Premiere Pro does.

Broadcast TV work would require colour correction with a broadcast TV monitor hooked up as well as ensuring the luminance and saturation levels are kept in check. I'm not sure about iMovie '09 but doubt you can do this kind of correction with it. I'm not sure how well FCE works for this stuff though IIRC, it does have some filters for this type of work.

If it's for web or DVD viewing, you may have a much better editing experience with at least FCE than with iMovie because of the greater control and options, even with FCE's learning curve. But in a pinch, iMovie (and iDVD if applicable) could probably work out though not personally recommended.

One other question; are multiple cameras going to be involved? It's a lot less fun synchronizing them if you don't have FCP (or equivalent). iMovie doesn't have a prayer in this situation, and it's more of a chore in FCE because it doesn't have the seamless multiclip feature that FCP has, so you'd have to use a workflow kludge to work around that in FCE.

Last edited by Dan Foster; November 13th, 2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Meant to say FCP in one place where I'd mentioned FCS. Whoops.
Dan Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I guess people do not look into iMovie enough before they judge it on 'the cover'. iMovie has enormous capabilities often overlooked by many. I would not recommend iMovie for broadcast work, but for many other applications it is fine. Want to find out what it can do? Check out Ken Stone's elaborate review: iMovie 09
Old November 14th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Inner Circle

iMovie works very well for what it is. Snap some clips together, do some titles, put some transitions in, add some interesting video filters. But once a project gets too complicated (length, number of clips, need to do fine adjustments to video or sound) even iMovie9 gets to be a headache. Once you have a version of Final Cut, you almost never look back.
Old November 14th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Vermunt View Post
I guess people do not look into iMovie enough before they judge it on 'the cover'. iMovie has enormous capabilities often overlooked by many. I would not recommend iMovie for broadcast work, but for many other applications it is fine. Want to find out what it can do? Check out Ken Stone's elaborate review: iMovie 09
Hallo Mario,

Not sure I'd agree regarding people not looking into iMovie enough. Some of us has it and has edited with it, and have some familiarity with its capabilities. It's just not something that I would advertise on my CV/resume for obvious reasons. :-) I don't have iMovie '09 in particular, but did read Ken's impressive review months ago. iMovie's primary target audience is someone not experienced in editing and has modest needs. In that respect, it fulfills it extremely well with its user interface as well as a nice library of supplied video and audio effects and transitions which reduces some of the stress of having a single video track. Randy's team has indeed done a much better job with '09 than with the unimpressive '08 version.

If one's editing needs is modest, delivery format isn't complicated (and doesn't have special requirements), and one doesn't have the time to learn something like FCE, then iMovie would probably work out OK. But would still recommend even the relatively inexpensive FCE as a starting point if at all possible.

There are also ways to work around financial issues, particularly for low cost items such as FCE (around Ģ115 in the UK). If this venture is funded by financial backers, one could go to them for additional money. Or one could ask for loans of small sums (say, 15 or 20 quid here-and-there) with generous repayment terms from family members, friends, acquaintances. Or one could befriend an editor with a spare Final Cut editing kit and borrow it for duration of the editing work in return for some special favour such as end credit. Or if not able to borrow kit, arrange to work on their FC edit machine during 'off hours' if they're not doing rendering or not using it then. Or if Lee is either an university student or employee, he may already have free access to a computer lab that has video editing tools -- or may be able to enter one if he has a family member or friend attending university accompanying him. Lots of options exists that doesn't involve a substantial upfront out-of-pocket outlay.

But ultimately, iMovie could work out... we just don't know enough about Lee's project technical requirements to make that determination. (For instance, does he need to synchronize multiple cameras?) In the end, Lee could always edit in iMovie if he doesn't have special technical requirements and if he's happy with the results, then that's that. Otherwise, he could then get FCE and import the iMovie project into it and do any desired special touch-ups.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Dan Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ok, I admit that I would not recommend iMovie for semi-professional editing purposes. I just got carried away, because there is much more possible than the blink eye can see.

I guess if not being able to afford editing software to make a movie, there are a lot more problems Lee will have to face. How about good audio, lighting etc.
Old November 16th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey guys..

Sorry for the late reply.. I wasn't getting emails that people had been answering this thread.

I am not really sure what my end result will be as of yet.. Am still researching it..

But due to the way am filming (self filmed 7D and smaller canon HD (not yet decided)) and editing on the go to upload short clips to internet. Kind of like a web series as I cycle around the world. Am hoping it might be picked up by the National Geographic or something and they can do all the hard work ;)

Thanks for your replies.. I haven't had time to read them all as of yet but I will give a more detailed account of what am thinking of when I get a bit more time :)

Thanks
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #11
Regular Crew

What version of iMovie will you be using? IF you have an older mac and iMovie 6HD, there is allot you can do with this version than iMove 7 thru 9. Apple dumbed it down after 6 for quick utube type stuff. The old iMovie 6HD is a nice program if you know what your doing. Plus some inexpensive plugins from gee three or others and it makes some pretty good video's. I use it for family weddings, school functions and stuff. If you can get you hands on iMovie 6HD (apple discontinued it), go for it! Easy to use and does a good job. If you are planning to get into more professional editing, then when you can afford it, do get FCE to start your self going. I have it sitting on the side but I lick iMovie 6 too much. I did buy a book on it to get all the info on what you can do with it. Good luck.
Randy Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi,

Am using the current version 8.0.5

I might be able to splash out on the FCE express though if needed.. Just researching it now :)
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Lee

If you are only going to upload short stories on the road, then Imovie is excellent.
It was more or less built around making short stories and upload them to Youtube

For what you are going to do Imovie will be perfect, no need to buy FCP/FCE before you go.
Buy any of them when you come home instead

Here are some good links

Ask questions here, they know a lot
Apple - Support - Discussions - iMovie

This is also a very good site with lots of info
Unlocking iMovie '09

Steve Mullen a member here has written a iMovie e-guide, they say it is pretty good.
I donīt have it so I canīt really say anything about it.

One thing to remember.
In Imovie you can upload direct from the program to Youtube but DO NOT use that function, use Mpeg-streamclip to do the encoding, itīs better

Cheers

Hans
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Vermunt View Post
I also highly recommend reading Ken Stone's article. He is a Final Cut Pro expert who points out the many interesting interface features of iMovie, some of which will hopefully migrate to more professional oriented editing programs. I found the interface intuitive. However, if you don't look at it with an open mind, you might find it irritating, because it doesn't do things the specific way you might be used to. It would be an ideal editor for creating short on-the road videos.
David Sholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #15
New Boot

iMovie HD '06 downloads available

Hi Folks...
Here are 2 links for iMovie HD '06. I miss the audio timeline visual in newer versions... so here ya go. Hope this helps! Peace, R

Good video on a work~around to get iMovie HD '06 even if you already have '09. Really young fella but great tutorial! :-) Enjoy...
YouTube - Tutorial: How to get Imovie HD with Imovie 09 on your system

$9.99 from Pegasus. They have all versions of iMovie and iLife. Go to the BOTTOM OF THE LEFT COLUMN. Authorized Apple site (according to their website):
Softwares

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite