DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 17th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Embedding FC clips into Keynote

I'm hoping someone here has embedded clips from FC into Keynote (or even power point). I've exported QT mp4 movie clips and then embedded them into a presentation. The clips look fine on my computer screen but when I connect to a projector the clips are notceably darker, they appear underexposed.

I tried adjust the projector but it doesn't help. The folks at the apple store wonder if I have the clips sized properly for the presentation but cannot recommend an optimal size. They think when the projector enlarges the image it is somehow making it darker.

Has anyone done this and can offer some advice?
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Experiment with graphics. Do these get darker as well? If not, you'll have to change the gamma setting in Compressor when making the files.
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Major Player

The rest of the graphics look about right.

I've never manipulated the gamma properties in Compressor. Can you give me some tips to "lighten" it up, please?
Old November 19th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Assuming that you are using Compressor already, after you set the codec that you want for Keynote (mp4 or h.264) click on the codec in the list, the inspector window should show several tabs. Pick "filters" (a square offset from a film frame icon) and check "gamma". A slider will show which should default to a gamma value of "1". Lowering the value will lighten up the image to what you need. Make several runs of the same file with different values as a test and see which suits your projector the best. Remember that these files may not be suitable for other uses.
Old November 19th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks. It actually played better on another projector today, but I'll take a look at the gamma settings.
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

Bob,

You have to be extra careful about judging the quality of a video clip by how it appears on a projector. Most projectors I've seen used both in home and commercial settings are not properly setup (too far away from their projecting surface, improper light output settings etc) and often have very low light-output not to mention many of them were close to their end-of-life for the bulb assemblies.

If your Keynote and video look good on a properly setup external monitor (TV, HDTV or even LCD) then it's not your video file that's the problem, it's the projector.
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Agreed but we have to work with what's available. Believe me, I've provided programs to some funky projectors installed in some high class theaters. Only one was so bad (and the projection people had no control over it) that I had to gamma correct an entire program but usually theater grade projectors just need some adjustment from time to time. Some very cheap or old business projectors are set up for graphs and the like and can't really show video very well.
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

I just want Bob to understand that he's probably not doing anything wrong in his workflow, but that the projector is most likely the weak link and the cause of his head-scratching.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite