DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 30th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony deck for capturing Canon HDV

I am a newbie. I recently upgraded from a Canon GL/2 to an XH-A1s. I also bought a Canon HV40, partly for a second camera on shoots, and partly because I read that it was a decent choice for a deck.

I can't get Final Cut Express HD to recognize the HV40 via Firewire. I have a Mac Pro with dual quad processors. This is frustrating!

I would be willing to purchase a separate deck and leave it connected to the Mac Pro. I am considering either a Sony GV-HD700 or a Sony HVR-M15AU HD deck for HDV tapes, but want some assurance that:

1) The Mac Pro and FCE will recognize the Sony deck (via firewire)
2) The Sony deck will handle capturing from the Canon HDV tapes

Anyone have experience with either Sony deck, using HDV tapes from Canon HDV camcorders?

Thanks!

Richard George
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Trustee

Yes, before I retired from miamiherald.com, I bought 5 of the 700 series Sonys and 2 MU15's. They work nicely with the XHA1 tapes in 1080i. They do not recognize the 24f mode or anything in 720 format (JVC, for example.) The decks were very satisfactory, even a phalanx of simi-trained people didn't break them....we used them at the edit stations for capturing mini-dv tapes and on location to log pool video feeds. We used FCPro, no experience withe Express, but should be no different, I think. Your set up in log and capture is sony firewire, 1080i. However, we have also logged and captured with no problem from the HV20 cameras direct into FCP, so I'm guessing you have a setup problem that a deck won't solve, might get your HV40 talking to FCE first...check your camera out setups as well as the FCE log and capture settings.../Battle Vaughan

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; November 30th, 2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: extend remarks
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Normally Final Cut should recognize your camera. All are your settings correctly?
If you would buy a deck just to work around the problem, if your setting are wrong, chances are big Final Cut won't recognize the deck either.

Connected the camera before powering up the computer and Final Cut?
I only work with Final Cut Pro, but sure your Audio & Video Settings are correct?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Major Player

I haven't used the HV40 but use Sony decks to capture from Canon-originated (XHG1 & XHL1) and no problems with 60i- BUT, you can't capture 30F or 24F. Have to capture right from camera for the F modes.
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have a GV-HD700 and it plays HDV tapes recorded in Canon HV20 (1080 60i or 24p) without any problem. Using iMovie (old or new versions) and firewire connection, I can capture HDV tapes (recorded in Canon HV20) from Sony GV-HD700. I cannot see any reason why FCE or FCP may not capture from GV-HD700. After editing, I was also able to export HDV movies back to GV-HD700.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

So Richard, the question is: Do you shoot in 1080i? I have a Sony M10U deck (FS by the way) which captures 1080i footage to the Mac. You can also print back to tape with FCP. The Sony M10 and the M15 can both PLAY 720p, but you cannot ingest 720 through firewire for editing purposes. The other, very expensive Sony deck will work with all your various flavors of HDV.
Fred Tims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Major Player

Fred:

For now, 1080 - 60i.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I just re-read your original post and see that you use Final Cut Express. Is there an Easy Setup menu like there is in FCP? I should stop giving advice on software that I have never used. I do know that 1080i60 footage SHOULD be compatible, regardless of manufacturer. My Sony deck has no problem with the footage from my Canon HV30.
Fred Tims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite