DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Compressor missing from DVDSP2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/46870-compressor-missing-dvdsp2.html)

Emily Crockett June 27th, 2005 10:15 PM

Compressor missing from DVDSP2?

Hello, help ;)
First of all, hope what I've done isn't illegal....it is okay to make copies of s'ware for personal use, right??
... Bygones, here is the prob...
I have an iMac G4 with FCP3 and DVDSP2 installed, everything works great. I am doing a project on the road, and have brought my lappy (G3 Powerbook, slower but does the job). What I did was copy my two programs from my iMac onto DVD and install them on my lappy. All seemed well.. but I have just completed a project - edited in FCP, templates done in DVDSP - but the blasted thing won't author - it trundles away for hours in DVDSP encoding the assets and then says (after those hours) ' formatting cancelled, VIDEO BITRATE TOO HIGH'.
The thing is, somehow I don't have a vital part of DVDSP now... when I am in FCP3 and go to export, it doesn't come up with any of the options usually available (like variable bitrate, two pass vbr etc).
What can I do?
I know, stupid, I should have used my original CD's, need a head check.
I'm on the road for another two weeks and I need to get this DVD to a fellow on Tuesday next. It's finished, ready to go, sitting there nicely, but in a format that apparently DVDSP2 can't do anything with.
Since I can't do my usual MPEG2 encode in FCP, I've tried exporting as DVStream, and also in Quicktime (doesn't offer MPEG2, and the quality is awful) but both of them come out with about 7mbps and after encoding for hours are rejected anyway in DVDSP.
I might be able to dump it into Toast, but then I'll lose all the templates and the impression of the finished product... any suggestions? Apart from sitting on my tail and having my original programs posted out (not really an option anyway..)
Emily

Rob Lohman July 3rd, 2005 04:44 AM

Hello Emily,

It is only legal to make copies of software if you bought said software. Then
it is a "backup". It is not legal to use software that you did not buy, not even
for personal use.

I'm afraid I cannot help you with your problem since I'm not Mac based.
Perhaps someone else who knows sees this thread.

Good luck and please buy your software!

Patrick Pike July 3rd, 2005 09:10 AM

Rob's right with the software, so take note of that.

This is a fairly simply problem, with a solution that you will not like. You need to have the program compressor to re-encode your video. I take it that did not get "copied" over when you transfered it over to your laptop. The laptop probably does not have it (hence why you cannot export to MPEG2) and will need the original discs from DVD Studio.

My advice, stop some place on the road and buy the Final Cut Studio Upgrade with everything new in it.