DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Automatic Duck vs. Boris XML Transfer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/469205-automatic-duck-vs-boris-xml-transfer.html)

Ryan Mitchell December 9th, 2009 08:49 PM

Automatic Duck vs. Boris XML Transfer

Hi all - I did a quick search and didn't see any real discussion on Boris XML Transfer. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts of this approach to migration of an FCP timeline into AE vs. Automatic Duck, which I understand is currently *the* package that can get that done without much hassle. The primary difference for me right now is that Toolfarm is running a 50% sale for Boris, making it a $150 approach vs. Automatic Duck's $450 - $500 solution. Anyone with any insight into the Boris solution that could comment on its viability compared to the incumbent?

James Brill December 9th, 2009 09:54 PM

You don't happen to have Premiere CS4 do you?

Ryan Mitchell December 9th, 2009 09:59 PM

I do - and I know the FCP -> XML export -> Premiere XML Import -> AE Premiere project import trick. That works fine, but if you want to do any effects work in FCP prior to taking it out to AE, especially with Magic Bullet, Colorista, or other effects, those don't come across in the XML export. Fades, motion changes, none of that comes across, I don't believe, so you're limited only to basic editing before moving over to AE.

Also, if you have to go back to FCP to do any additional edits, you have to go back through the entire process, which is unwieldy. I don't know if Boris gets around that or not, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I've downloaded the trial to check it out but wanted to get some thoughts from other folks if possible...

Tania Ratu December 10th, 2009 03:53 AM

I would be interested on your thoughts once you have had a chance to put it through its paces. FCP - AE, AE - FCP
Ratu

Robert Lane December 10th, 2009 09:12 AM

It could be that Boris is offering the discount because that application is losing market share.

I can tell you from experience that A.D. does the job brilliantly; I've never used the Boris tool so I can't make a direct comparison.

Ryan Mitchell December 10th, 2009 11:01 AM

Good thought, Robert, but the way I understand it, Boris XML Transfer is brand new - the press release was issued on Nov 9 of this year I believe, so my guess is that the price actually reflects their attempt to grab market share away from the leader. :)

I don't doubt AD's capability - I think that's proven - but if you can get that same capability, or close to it, for less than 1/3 the cost, it's worth a look...

Robert Lane December 11th, 2009 08:02 AM

I would never take a chance on a mission-critical operation such as media transfer to a relatively unknown and unproven application. Sure you could save some money - assuming the app does it's job, but how much more would it cost you in time and hassle if things get wonky?

Unless you can get a demo and try it out or find someone with experienced face-time with the Boris tool I'd pony-up for "the quacker".

Ryan Mitchell December 11th, 2009 09:59 AM

Agreed, Robert, hence the question on the forums. The Quacker is definitely the way to go if you're in a time crunch and need the tool, but I figured I'd ask about the new kid on the block to see what thoughts might be out there as the purchase would be opportunistic and quite inexpensive. If I *had* to have something right now for a project to be delivered, the Quacker is the move.

That said, The Quacker was once where Boris XML Transfer is now - unproven and unknown, but was definitely worth the look! :) I have a demo that I'll try out soon and we'll see what happens. I'll report back here with my findings...

Martin Chab December 15th, 2009 06:30 AM

Or you can use FCPToAE. a free program made by Dale Bradshaw and downloadable here Creative Workflow Hacks
may be it hasnīt so many options as the commercial ones but it works flawlessly and it is fast.