DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Canon G9 is AVI MPEG - do I need to convert codec before FCP? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/469365-canon-g9-avi-mpeg-do-i-need-convert-codec-before-fcp.html)

Don Hauerken December 13th, 2009 02:59 AM

Canon G9 is AVI MPEG - do I need to convert codec before FCP?

Can anyone advise me on setting my files for using FCP to edit footage from the Canon G9?

As far as I know, the G9 outputs 1024x768 AVI format @ 15 fps, MPEG coded files. Not sure, but is this H264?

Is it best to convert to ProRes422 with MPEG STREAM before working with the files in FCP?

Do I need to change the frame rate to 24 fps or 25 fps or 30 fps for best results?

What are the appropriate settings for the input file and for outputting for use on YouTubeHD or Vimeo?

Should the frame size be converted to something other than 1024x768? If so, to what numbers? Unfortunately, this format is sort of squarish... but I don't want to change anything if it's going to subject to quality loss.

These input output specs are confusing as heck to me and any guidance would really be appreciated. Thanks.

William Hohauser December 13th, 2009 11:04 AM

As you guessed, use MPEGStreamClip to convert the files to something FCP can work with. And no, the original file isn't h.264. This camera records in M-JPEG which is an older codec but it can make very decent looking images. Unfortunately this pixel size file and frame rate is very unusual for video and you might have some issues sending it to YouTube or Vimeo. Fortunately your file is 4:3. One thing to do is to set MPEGStreamclip to transcode to QuickTime ProRes but set it to the original file size and 30fps (that's a multiple of 15, using 24 or 25 will introduce very annoying frame holds). Bring it into a 4:3 NTSC ProRes project and edit away. Note that it will be scaled down. To maintain the resolution, you can bring it into a 720 HD ProRes project but you will have pillar boxes on both sides which isn't terrible and it will be scaled down a little bit.

Don Hauerken December 13th, 2009 12:32 PM

William... thank you so much for the reply!

One more question... do you know if the G9 video is interlaced or progressive?

It's interesting that finding such information from owners manuals, etc. is so difficult. I searched the book and online for a long time and figuring this all out is like pulling hen's teeth!

When I save for Vimeo... am I going to convert to 25p or 24p at that time, or leave it at 30 (the multiple of the 15 I shot it in.)?

What's the best Quicktime format to output to, Quicktime ProRes422, Quicktime H.264, or?

Oops.. that's three questions! If there are any other settings options for import or export to Vimeo, I'd sure appreciate your input on that. Thanks again!

William Hohauser December 13th, 2009 12:38 PM

At 15fps it is very likely progressive but I don't know.

Why convert it to 24 or 25 when it's already 15fps regardless of the conversion to 30? Leave it at 30.

Use ProRes, just be aware that the file will be very big compared to the original.

Export the finished edit as h.264 through Compressor. Pick the LAN setting. Vimeo will convert the uploaded file to their standard.

Robert Lane December 13th, 2009 10:28 PM

Don,

You may already know this but...

The G9 has one very cool and useful feature that got deleted from both the G10 and G11 (I've owned all the G-series since the 9): Time lapse capture in video mode.

You might not think it to be anything useful - until you've tried it. I actually created a couple of web-based time-lapses for clients using the G9 left alone for hours on a tripod with amazing results. Just be careful of getting sunlight or bright point-light in-frame as smear in video mode is absolutely gross-nasty.

Even if you upgrade to the newer G11 (which by the way is stunningly better at ISO 80 than the G9) don't get rid of your G9. I wish I hadn't sold mine!!

Don Hauerken December 13th, 2009 10:43 PM

Robert... thank you for that info! I was aware that the G9 could make time-lapse video, but haven't tried it yet.

When I was recently looking into the G11, I read about the Lumix GF-1 and GH-1 and those cameras really got me thinking about updating from my G9... but I agree, the G9 is a fantastic camera which I won't be letting go of.

The reason I asked for info in this thread is because I needed to put together some images I created yesterday. Elijah is my wife's son and my step son. He was killed just over a week ago in Afghanistan while working to help let us all stay happily at home playing with our cameras and our families. His body was returned to us from Dover AFB yesterday. (PLEASE realize that I am a still camera portrait photographer just now beginning to create videos. I bought the new 5DII a few weeks ago, but employed my G9 for this very non-professional effort.)

For more information on Elijah, a Google search of his name will bring up all you might wish to know about this young American hero.

Hale Nanthan April 12th, 2010 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hauerken (Post 1459665)
Can anyone advise me on setting my files for using FCP to edit footage from the Canon G9?

As far as I know, the G9 outputs 1024x768 AVI format @ 15 fps, MPEG coded files. Not sure, but is this H264?

Is it best to convert to ProRes422 with MPEG STREAM before working with the files in FCP?

Do I need to change the frame rate to 24 fps or 25 fps or 30 fps for best results?

What are the appropriate settings for the input file and for outputting for use on YouTubeHD or Vimeo?

Should the frame size be converted to something other than 1024x768? If so, to what numbers? Unfortunately, this format is sort of squarish... but I don't want to change anything if it's going to subject to quality loss.

These input output specs are confusing as heck to me and any guidance would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Canon G9 is a camera,not a camcorder.So you need convert to mpeg first,then convert to prores 422 again by comprosser.

Pavtube Video Converter for Mac - Mac Video Converter convert videos