DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP 5.0 No Data from Device? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/47070-fcp-5-0-no-data-device.html)

Frederic Lumiere July 1st, 2005 01:47 PM

FCP 5.0 No Data from Device?

I've been out of it for a while, shooting a feature.

I started capturing footage in FCP 5.0 and the interface is nice.

Captured 19 tapes fine and all of a sudden I'm getting the following error:

"No Data from Device"
Capture was aborted due to lack of incoming data from device. Check your connections and that the deck is playing."

I get full deck control but when i click Capture Now I get the error.

I tried the exact same deck and tape on another G5 and it works fine, so the deck and the footage on the tape are fine.

iMovie on the problematic G5 captures footage in HDV res fine so the firewire port is fine on that G5.

I also reinstalled FCP Studio from scratch and still get the error.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Frederic

Steve Nunez July 2nd, 2005 07:00 AM

Have you recently upgraded to Tiger? Tiger and QT 7 are causing all sorts of FCP problems.....a known fix is to use a FULL install of Tiger instead of the "Upgrade" option...

Check the FCP Pro discussion boards- they may have insight to your problem.

Frederic Lumiere July 2nd, 2005 07:48 AM

Steve,

Interesting because the only obvious difference between the "good" and "bad" G5 is the good one is 10.4 and the bad is 10.4.1

I decided to rebuild the machine from scratch (I highly recommend doing this every 6 months and the new OS X migration tool makes this very easy).

The machine is now on 10.4 and it works fine.

The machine is also a lot more responsive and only has FCP Studio on it.

Interestingly enough, the "Good" G5 refused to let the 10.4.1 upgrade install on it. I even downloaded the upgrade and tried to install it manually but it wouldn't let me.

Very strange.

Frederic

Steve Nunez July 2nd, 2005 07:56 AM

Apparently Apple has some issues they need to resolve....your good machine has OSX 10.4 and not the 10.4.1 which is newer......sometimes the lastest tweaks end up ruining our machines- go figure?

Kaku Ito July 6th, 2005 08:17 AM

I thought I was running 10.4.1 on my Dual 2.5Ghz G5 with FCP5 okay, but I guess not. The fact is I did all my capturing while the system was running with 10.4, then I was editing with 10.4.1. Now, I'm trying to capture HDV footage from HC1 or FX1 and they don't work.

Frederic Lumiere July 6th, 2005 08:28 AM

Kaku,

Hello my friend. :)

Yes, I think 10.4.1 screws up capturing HDV. That took a nice day out of my schedule.:(

The workstation is a lot better off as a result since I've had to rebuild it from scratch...

F
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaku Ito
I thought I was running 10.4.1 on my Dual 2.5Ghz G5 with FCP5 okay, but I guess not. The fact is I did all my capturing while the system was running with 10.4, then I was editing with 10.4.1. Now, I'm trying to capture HDV footage from HC1 or FX1 and they don't work.

Kaku Ito July 6th, 2005 11:23 AM

Your post helped

Frederic my friend,

I quickly decided to install 10.4 on G-Tech G-RAID drive after reading your post. Since Jun Katatae (our network and system administrator) had prepared network bootable installation ready, I was able to boot with the installation network boot drive, install and copy the necessary apps and drivers (did not copy the AJA Kona 2 drivers but I did not select the "copy files" button) in two hours. Amazing.

Then it worked right away. I started reinstalling about 23:00, now captured and edited a 1 minute clip, AND compressed (in 13 minutes) at 2:22am.

Now, the first clip is ready to go.

Steve Nunez July 6th, 2005 04:25 PM

Yeah- Tiger is doing a number on allot of Pro apps......sad to say but I hope Apple doesn't go Microsoft's route of releasing OS's that causes all sorts of problems- especially with Apple's top PRO apps...seems like a step backward.

Kaku Ito July 6th, 2005 11:57 PM

Maybe some problems with Decklink and Kona 2 drivers

Frederic,

Masayo removed the Decklink drivers from 10.4.1 that was having the same problem then HDV capture started working. My machine has Kona 2 drivers on 10.4.1. Maybe they have the compatible issues with 10.4.1.

Kaku Ito July 13th, 2005 04:23 AM

I tested the new, 10.4.2 with the FCP5 5.0.2 update and the Kona2 software version 1.1.2 but still not working. I heard that Decklink software is out, too. I will let you know what happens.

Kaku Ito July 13th, 2005 11:27 AM

I feel like just talking to myself only, but i unistalled the Kona2 driver from Tiger 10.4.1 and the capturing worked immediately. Now I'm going to install Kona2 driver to 10.4.

Jeff Kastner July 30th, 2005 10:05 PM

Hi Frederic,

Not sure if you solved the problem yet, but I had the exact same thing happen to me tonight. After getting very frustrated with Final Cut, I finally realized that I had forgotten to change a camera setting on my Z1u. In the menu, iLink convert must be switched to off to capture HDV. After that, it worked fine.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Frederic Lumiere July 30th, 2005 11:10 PM

Jeff,

Thank you. I am very familiar with the ilink conv setting. If it was set to ON, the camera wouldn't work with the other computer. Also, footage wouldn't even show in the FCP capture window.

It was due to 10.4.1

I am still on 10.4 for now, not willing to take the risk to upgrade to 10.4.2 until my project is finished. If it ain't broken, don't mess with it... ;)

Frederic

Kaku Ito August 1st, 2005 10:05 AM

No, Frederic, 10.4.2 did not solve the problem for me. Don't do it.

Frederic Lumiere August 1st, 2005 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaku Ito
No, Frederic, 10.4.2 did not solve the problem for me. Don't do it.

Great, thanks Kaku. If it's not broke don't mess with it.

Frederic